GoKunming Forums

Theivery in Kunming

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

Thievery is extraordinarily common in Kunming - higher than in most of the other major cities - with the possible exception of Lanzhou. The city requires higher than normal vigilance - although one should always be situationally aware and vigilant. Movable items such as bicycles, e-bikes, laptops, etc - anything left unattended is a prime target for the casual thief and there are a LOT of casual thieves, not including professional thieves who profile and target their marks - kind of like a zone defense in basketball, football, soccer, etc. So, Kunming also has areas where one should expect petty and sometimes major crimes to be considerably higher - especially around municipal "villages" aka slums - usually demarcated with special gates and large signs (not to mention a rather vibrant night market after midnight).

I don't hang out at bars and rarely socialize (busy busy) - but am still targeted by thieves - mostly property thieves, at both work and home - so I know I'm on somebody's radar (conspiracy theory - right HFCAMPO?). Some people are just <censored> magnets. I've lost two bikes - had a thief and accomplice enter our gated guarded compound to steal my kids' three bicycles - and we live at the other end of the gated compound - so the thief had to actually enter all the way into the compound to even know we store three bicycles in an open storage area (fortunately thwarted by our gate guard). The amount of effort required to identify, target, and then execute that theft along with the inherent risk of a constantly monitored gate with a guard that knows me very well - it's just not normal for thieves who tend to look for easy, low risk thefts. In Chinese strategy - this is loosely called - shooting arrows from the dark - unknown, unseen enemies.

bjtokm (193 posts) • 0

I am trying to think why this guys get attacked all the time! Or even yelled at on the streets..Its most likely not just because your girlfriend is hot..I know lots of guys with hot gfs and they are not getting yelled at ...maybe your 50 something and she is 20 something? Maybe you just look a certain way ? But a I am sure that this is not normal..

The Dudeson's (1106 posts) • 0

Well according to some of the people I know all over China, it's not that weird. Kunming feels safer compared to other places but still not very safe.
I am not one of those old guys with pretty young gf's.
I dunno maybe I did always something wrong but according to Chinese or Western etiquette, there wasn't. As I mentioned before you can blame it on me or not I don't care, I know that there was nothing I did wrong. What could I possibly do wrong, while walking out of a restaurant not even making 5 steps out of it before stuff went down. Or last weeks thing, just strolling windows talking about what stuff we like, quite a romantic moment until some jackass tries to be NAZI.

Maybe we have to think about the idea we have about China or blame it on me. I don't give a crap because I have been there and if it happens again I am aware of it. It's not my surprised ass being handed to me.

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

@The Dudeson's
I had a friend who could rarely go for a night out without getting mugged, losing his wallet, ID card, everything bar his trousers. This would happen regardless of which country we happened to be visiting at the time. Oddly enough, he never lost his sense of humour. If these weird things keep happening to you, you might one day strike lucky and be the first person genuinely abducted by aliens. On return, you could bypass GKM and set about writing a book, perhaps retire to somewhere truly safe on the proceeds:Monaco is reputedly the safest place. More locally there are one or two places in the south China sea are well protected these days. Probably best to employ a ghost writer.

Related forum threads

Login to post