GoKunming Forums

IP laws

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

Hugo, Your answer is not "Yes." Your answer is extremely conditional in that to benefit from your generosity one must conform to your parameters you label as "nice." As I do not qualify as "nice," your answer should be "No."

I wonder if your Humanistic beliefs are also limited to those folk you deem "nice." I suppose Capitalists, the GREEDY people they are, need not expect your generosity either. Do you think the German Nazis considered some people nice and others not nice? How about Pol Pot?

I am an American Capitalist, a Conservative as well, but in the Jeffersonian sense I am a liberal. I try understand society in economic terms. I can understand your need to find conspiracies everywhere. It is okay with me as I feel no animosity toward any religious belief. But, I find it sad you find people who may have a beer, now and then, not "nice." Sort of shorts out the Humanistic claims you make.

Now, where did you get free water?

mike4g_air (788 posts) • 0

Wow, so this is what goes on while I'm out flying from mountain to mountain.

Very good points on both sides of the issue.

Although I'll reinstate my opinion

Life in any form should not have patents, modified life forms can be designed to eliminate natural life forms. This is wrong, this can harm humanity.
Control / Monopolizing of natural life sustaining essentials is another danger to humanity...Water at it's source should always be free...but what am I saying?....Canada has lots of fresh water, we can hoard it, starve the world!!..drive the price up!!....ha ha just kidding..

Accomplishments / inventions needs patents / I.P. laws to reward it's maker, to promote progress. Nevertheless these accomplishments / inventions are somewhat limited in time.

Although in the far future we will see artificial intelligence (a life form) being able to reproduce itself, would we allow the maker of this artificial (life) be the owner?? Monsanto all over again but at a scarier level??
Microsanto???

If.... humanity as we know it lives beyond the G.M.O. stage of evolution!!!

So ...back to the topic. I've never seen a Nike logo destroy anything.... or myself being forced to buy/consume any of it's products directly or indirectly...

To AlPage48 and All, let's guess where the logo is? Eh! there cant be that many construction companies ....

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

Mike - need a like button for that last comment!

If Rogers and Bell improved their service 100% they would still be bad!

But - This post was not started about Rogers or Bell, it's about a Kunming entity using the logo of the CBC which is NOT a rich corporation. It is in fact an agency of the Government of Canada and is paid for by taxpayers. That's you and me!

Of course if the government would unload this cash cow to the private sector I would not complain.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

When is comes to GMO foods and life forms, I begin to dread the inevitability of Murphy's Law and the resulting unintended consequences. Regardless of who owns the rights to the process, I do believe GMO stuff should be labelled as such so I can avoid it.

Linking IP rights and protections to GMO foods, I would suggest the owners of such rights be made legally tied to any unintended consequences associated with their products/processes. Or, at least make it absolutely clear you are about to buy GMO food.

Several years ago there was a bit of propaganda extolling China'a progress in GMO research. I can't remember the details but as a Chinese friend, a botanist, pointed out, everyone will make money selling GMO food but no one will tell us it is GMO.

Have you seen the tiny tomatoes, about 1cm in size, all of amazingly uniform size and color for sale?

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Small tomatoes, even size and color. Probably the result of Hybridization. Like California strawberries, you know the ones, big (high yield), juicy (heavy yield), perfect color and shape (eye candy for shoppers), no flavour (well you can't have everything). But the Calif. Strawb is hybrid cultivar, pre dates GMO.
Same goes for cows, pigs, sheep, chickens, and domestic dogs. Not to mention most commercial strains of grain, fruits and veg that predate GMO.

ghostpayroll (6 posts) • 0

I work for an IP agency here in Beijing and lemme say just this

any country whom wishes to have a modern world and develop its infrastructures and bring everyone out of poverty (yea right) is going to need a very well organized IP set of laws.

here in china its not the laws that has issues, its enforcement and awareness.

when you write a book, make a movie or compose a song and someone makes money off of your work. perhaps you can understand it more.

when somenoe stole my songs i was mad because they could have simple "asked" me about it. im cool with people playing my tunes. but when you make 10,000-20,000 rmb off something I wrote. then its time to contact my dear old friend da lawyer.

by the way i won damage claims in the middle courts here in beijing and have shut down those guys.

Related forum threads

Login to post