GoKunming Forums

International School in Kunming

Hahah (4 posts) • 0

Dear All,

Is KIA the only international school in Kunming? I have 2 young kids age 5 and 3. I want to send them to an English pre-school in Kunming so any suggestion and recommendation would be highly appreciated.

I find the fees of KIA are too steep for me.

Thanks in advance.

The Dudeson's (1106 posts) • 0

I think KIA is the only real International schools. But they are a lot of bilingual and bicultural schools around. They have daily English lessons, some of them even half day English language activities.

But I don't recommend them. First they are still very expensive and most of the stuff they are advertising is rubbish. Worked for a few of them.

Don't get me wrong they are not bad in terms of quality education, but they dont deliver what they promise.
Plus they are not really a bargain, actually comparing them with KIA, you would be better off at KIA, at least you get what you pay for.

(including qualifying for schools in the west)

But in general for Preschool you don't have to worry too much about brainwashing and all that funny stuff (if that is your concern). If you find a Preschool with a good teacher and if they don't push around or beat, your kids and hopefully have some nice art and extra-curricular activities, you already found a proper one.
In short at the Preschool stage you can't mess up as much as in the Primary school choice. The money you save in Pre you could use later on for a more expensive Elementary school.

I am/ was an education consultant (schools & parents), tell me what your goal is and your budget. I could put a plan together for you and if you wish name a few istitutions that would fit your needs. It would be efficient depending on what you want your loved one to learn or achieve.
And of course I'd to it for the fun of it. (free)

TrumanQ (1 post) • 0

KIA is the only real international school in Kunming. Besides, there are some international high schools which are beneficial for students who are going to study abroad and live in Chinese language environment before leaving. For instance, the best one is called AIHS (American International High School), as known as Kunming Foreign Language School GAC/ACT Center

The Dudeson's (1106 posts) • -1

Also you have to know that Jesus Christ is the headteacher at KIA, for people as tired of religious nuts as I am, that may be a decision maker. Plus the unreasonable hight tuition you pay (talking about Christian monopolies, huh?) for leaving your kids in the hands of the 'chosen people'.

Quester (233 posts) • 0

Also depends what part of town you're in, unless you're prepared to send your kids anywhere across the whole city?

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

The Canadian high school is located on one of the top floors of the #10 middle school on Beijing Rd, north of the north Walmart. 2 years ago they were charging 60,000 a year tuition, plus meals and lodging.

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

Quick bump on this thread. Is it still true that Kunming International Academy (KIA) is the only truly international school in Kunming, or have things changed in the last 2 years?

Related forum threads

Login to post