GoKunming Forums

International School in Kunming

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Have been told recently by a longtime US member of a Christain group here that there are now at least 2 others, North American or European based I think, but I don't remember the names. I also believe there is a Korean school of some sort, especially for kids in the age group of your kids.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

As far as I am aware KIA is still the only international school that can cater for the needs of expat kids.

There are international programs, but these are for the last 3 years of OS highschool programs and have a 100% local/Chinese student population.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I saw a job advert for Pollard International School a few days ago. It seems that they also teach students 6-18 years now. I have no connection with Pollard, but below is a cut and paste from their advert.
Pollard International School is a professional school that is preparing Chinese students who plan on transferring to primary school, middle school, high school or university in the U.S. or other English-speaking countries. Our students' ages range from 6 to 18 years old. Our school motto is: a great meaningful life impacts others in an excellent way. Pollard uses U.S. public school curriculum and textbooks to teach Chinese and international students. The primary requirement to work with us is to love education and to love children.

Pollard School is located inside the largest park in Kunming. It is therefore both quiet and safe. Kunming is known as the Spring City which attracts many foreigners to live here with its wonderful environment and beautiful weather.

Pollard School is a partner school with some local kindergartens, primary schools, universities and companies. Pollard School has the authority to hire teachers for them.

Olga Kozerog (22 posts) • 0

Looking for not expensive high school in Kunming, or secondary school or college - for foreigners, who did not graduate high school at home and moved to Kunming. Preferably study in English, but possible bilingual or even Chinese only.

If somebody can give me a links of such schools by PM, I will be very appreciated. Not KIA, please!

bbirch84 (11 posts) • +1

Been here 5 years. worked for a few of these places.

KIA is the best in terms of providing a regular American-style education. It is religious in many regards, though the school does strive to respect children from all beliefs... parents have even opted out of having their kids involved in certain activities. They do offer a lot of financial aid.

Grace Academy in the North Mainly caters to Korean children, they are in Meijingxingchen and are still quite small

Modular Study Group is in the west, it is quite flexible and has certified teacher for many of the courses, most kids are western

Pollard international school in North kunming is about 3 years old and quite small (about 35 kids). It has several foreign staff and is teaching an American style curriculum, It currently has grades 1,3,6,8,11 and is slowly adding more as kids come in. All students are chinese, though they accept foreign children. The school has a religious ethos but not as emphasized as KIA.

ACE is a homeschool option, they follow ABECA curriculum

The Canadian secondary school in the north... don't know much about it (but it's covered in this forum already)

The Anchor- in Beichen is a homeschool co-op

hope that helps!

Olga Kozerog (22 posts) • 0

bbirch84 - thanks a lot! is there any kind of help to pass GED test?

tigertiger, he is 20+
native English, US citizen, born abroad, speaking some Chinese, looking for some option, may be to work as a volunteer at such school? I do not know exactly, need to discuss.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

That pretty well rules out the Canadian school. 5 years ago their tuition was 60,000+ per year (not cheap) and they would not be hiring volunteer workers. Their teachers all have Canadian teacher certification - nothing less.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +1

OK, for mature students (in UK over 21 years old), you do not have to have graduated from high school. It is probably the same for other countries. However, you do need to show the university that you have the interests and capability to finish the course.
A real option is home study. GED is an option. Look up Keystone, which is an online school, based in the USA, aimed specifically at home study. Students can work through the material at their own pace, taking one or more units at the same time. It would be better to register for Keystone with a US mailing address if you can. In China Keystone is franchised to chinese high school programs, and this may cause problems with getting access to registration. In China it is Kaplan who had the franchise www.kaplaninternational.com/ The owner of the Kunming franchise may be willing to allow you to register as an independent student. You pay the fees, and don't come to school.
Another option is the Khan Academy, which is now getting international recognition. www.khanacademy.org courses are for adults and children.
Khan Academy courses are all free. They would allow you to investigate areas of interest. It would also show universities capability and interests. I am not sure how certification works, or how widely they are accepted. You need to look into this.

Another alternative, the he can study with www.coursera.org/. These are university first year courses. These courses are from top universities around the globe. Many of them are free, and you can opt to pay about USD60 for a certificate. These would be accepted as proof of academic ability by any university. Many would also give academic credit for these courses and count them towards the degree (if they are in a related subject).

Related forum threads

Login to post