GoKunming Forums

Pepper spray or mace vs wild dogs

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Where can I buy a small can of pepper spray or mace?

I plan on using this against any wild dogs that chase me on my next biking trip. I'm open to other suggestions against aggressive dogs that don't respond to verbal or water.

pickley (17 posts) • 0

I know where you're coming from. Bring some pins and drop them in front of the running dog, that'll teach them.

DAY DREAMER (24 posts) • 0

PINS? - What a brainless and cruel suggestion! So you are chased by dogs and you want to cripple them and hurt them in such a horrible way? I am pretty sure some dogs mean no harm and it is part of their nature just run after bikes. To take one step further: what if kids step on it?

The original idea of pepper spray is actually workable and you can make it yourself. Get some ground pepper and mix it with water. Then put the mixture into the bottle with spray head. Shake it and spray!

Or just put some juicy hot chilli sauce into the water ......there are many ways of doing it.

Chingis (242 posts) • 0

As Daydreamer points out, pins are no good!. You need to use tacks or drawing pins as the large flat head will ensure the pointy end sticks straight up, giving clean unimpeded entry into the canines paws. Shards of broken glass are of course another option, just ensure whatever you do that you don't ending up riding over the same ground again. How embarrassing it would be to get a flat tire, and ironic if the bleeding and crippled dogs tore into you as you repaired the puncture- lol

Happy trails

BTW Taobao used to sell pepper spray, and if you know any police they carry it too

I hope you are the one who step on pins and glass. Actually i would like to put them on the ground for you if you tell me where you live. There are some normal people around why do we get trash like you.

I hope you are the one who step on pins and glass. Actually i would like to put them on the ground for you if you tell me where you live. There are some normal people around why do we get trash like you.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

I feel you DayDreamer. Animal are so precious. I love dogs and hate it when I see them hurt or in pain. Pepper spray is the only way to go. You don't want to hurt them just repel them.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Pins, tacks, glass, ninja caltrops are just rather unworkable for practical reasons and human safety (I don't have an opinion on the morality of using them on wild dogs).

Dogs do love to chase, and it's in their nature. But biting riders legs (deep enough to draw blood) is also part of that chase and in that same nature. I'm trying to repel wild dogs that do bite, not someone's pet that's just following me.

Thanks for the links for homemade pepper spray. However, I'd still like to know if it's possible to buy it in a store in Kunming. The canisters will spray much farther and are more compact than a homemade spray bottle.

Anyone seen a shop that sells pepper spray or police items like batons or self defense items for sale? (not looking for batons but the shop or owner might have pepper spray for sale) Would camping equipment stores carry pepper spray?

Related forum threads

Login to post