GoKunming Forums

Pepper spray or mace vs wild dogs

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

I have an idea. Why don't you ask the 保安? They would definitely know where the nearest store is. They do have store that sell police stuff and uniform and I'm sure pepper spray too.

Willem (21 posts) • 0

I've also had some problems with viscious dogs while cycling in Yunnan. One of my friends back home gave me a so-called 'ultrasonic dog chaser', which basically sends out an ultrasonic signal that only animals can hear, and stops them from approaching any further.

I haven't used it yet, so I don't know if it actually works.

Also, I assume it's very hard to find smth like this in Kunming.

But, in case you do, it sounds way more practical than pepper spray, cause you can simply attach to your clothes or bike and press the button.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

@Liumingke1234
Good thought. I'll pay more attention to the security guards and ask them if they know, at least the ones that wear more than just a uniform. Unfortunately, most are just armed with the uniform and cigarettes.

@Willem
There is an iphone app that does the same. Sadly, I really doubt either is effective. But do let me know if your device beats the odds and works.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

I suggest carrying a long heavy stick, similar to a broom stick (assuming that's feasible on a bike ride).
1. it doubles as a walking stick.
2. you can use it to fend of most animals with a swift whack in the jowls (face).
3. It never runs out of propellant or repellent.
4. There's a VERY low probability of accidentally spraying yourself in the face.

Alternatives are bamboo switches which can inflict stinging pain and my all-time favorite - short bull whips. The loud cracking sound is usually sufficient to deter most animals and in a pinch - and with some practice, you can land a well placed lash which is amply sufficient to send the aggressive alpha dog(s) scampering...and bull whips are just cool to carry for those with more purile temperaments (indiana jones etc).

TICexpats (207 posts) • 0

Wild dogs = RABIES

Drawing pins seems a good idea

to those hiking barefoot (don't) ever heard of snakes, stones, etc ?

gel tires rock !!

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Drawing pins are indiscriminate, and will affect other road users for weeks. There is no guarantee you will get the dog chasing you either.

Pepper spray is selective. You decide where it will go and when. A Super-Soaker will give you range.
A professional pepper spray would seem the best option.

The alternative would be to buy a hot chilli (fine) powder. You could throw/shake a box of this from your bike leaving an air-born trail. This would mean that you do not need to stop. They use a similar technique to deter elephants in India.

Related forum threads

Login to post