GoKunming Forums

where to buy good red wine

Shoei (78 posts) • 0

guys,

aside from metro where else can i buy a really good red wine.

i wouldnt say no if any recommended brand of red wine as long as it is good. even if its in metro

thanks in advance guys

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

I've been told that a lot of what is supposed to be good is actually cheap fake stuff in a good bottle (re-corked or course).

Kailua (5 posts) • 0

Just to add my 2 cents....last week I bought some "good brandy" and took a little taste. It was horrible. i poured it in a paper cup and it actually dissolved the wax. Yikes!

I am also looking for some good red wine, so hopefully someone will make a good suggestion.

lummerlaoshi (130 posts) • 0

Hi, I can't actually offer a specific brand as I haven't drunk wine in quite a long time, but if you're looking for good, cheap imported wine (French, etc.), send me a PM and I can send you my friend's number. She used to work for a hotel as the concierge and now she delivers and sells wine. It's about 30rmb/bottle and my friends who have had it says the wine is pretty good. We bought a box of it (delivered to our home) and gave them away as gifts.

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

Shoei: I am not a wine connoisseur. I enjoy it as a treat but will not spend huge amounts of time, or money, to select one from the thousands available.
At home or here in China red wine from CHILE has never been a disappointment. Metro has two red wines from Chile, one at just under 100 RMB and the other is just a little more expensive. Both are good. I almost always buy these as gifts when invited to dinner. Any red wine from Xinjiang was beautiful but Metro no longer sells the stuff.

Shoei (78 posts) • 0

guys thanks for the info,

ok ill try to look at metro for it seems all is pointing at that,

appreciate the replies,

nnoble, its not about payng much money. its just whats a good red wine, because i paid over 100+ rmb as a gift and it sucks. glad i was able to know it before i gave them all away.

really embarassing really! but ill look into the chile thing. thanks again!

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

Metro does have a decent selection, as does carrefour. There are also quite a few wine shops popping up around town. The one on Cuihu North, next to Moonlight Corner, is a bit overpriced for the selection. There's a decent shop near Kundu on the same street as the Movie Bar.
There's also a decent shop on the North 1st Ring at Baita Lu.

The Box (aka Sappora Italia) is also a food and wine distributor. They have a selection of Italian wines, and sell most by the glass at the bar. Try some of them out. The owner can probably make a deal if you buy it by the case.

For all these places, there will be plenty of so-so wine, and some decent bottles at good prices. A lot of the smaller shops organize tastings, so make nice with the owner when you drop in. They'll let you know about tastings and other wine events.

beizhan (37 posts) • 0

Try Sandra's (Beichen). There is a good selection of Australian, Spanish, Chilean and French wines. Good value for money red wines.

mehnyaa (52 posts) • 0

Quite a few times i bought wine from Chile at Metro. Cost me about 40 RMB. The taste was good.....

Related forum threads

Login to post