GoKunming Forums

Avocados around?

elwhitman (1 post) • 0

Anyone know a place that is stocking avocados in Kunming, right now? I checked Salvador's today and didn't see any in there produce fridge despite what I've already read on the forums.

- Ned

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +1

Are avocado seasonal?

I know back home we are used to all seasons fruit, because of flying stuff in globally. But China does less of that.

Just a thought

Krismoonpie (80 posts) • 0

They are seasonal here. We are able to get them at Salvador's only in the winter months from the Burmese border area. We usually have them from around November till March. Unfortunately we haven't been able to source them anywhere else in the country that can supply them at other times and shipping them in from Mexico or something just isn't economically feasible. Something to look forward to!

pushingeast (16 posts) • 0

Saw them in stock at the Metro Supermarket about a week ago. Imported from South America somewhere and still rock hard.

colinflahive (167 posts) • 0

First local avocados of the season just came in. We're selling them at Salvador's for 10rmb each. We've also got a guacamole special kickin' today. Try with the nachos...

Yuanyangren (297 posts) • 0

@tigertiger Actually, there are many imported fruits available in the supermarkets here in China; even many bananas are imported despite there being large production areas in southern Yunnan (Dehong, Xishaungbanna and Honghe prefectures) as well as parts of Hainan. Therefore, China is not much different in this respect from much of the rest of the world. However, avocados I haven't seen much of; I guess it's a simple reflection on local dining preferences. For example, durians are favored by the locals, despite nearly all of them originating from abroad, chiefly Thailand.

In terms of finding avocados here, then as other posters have said Metro and Salvador's. I haven't seen any at Carrefour, for example.

Jersey Mike (1 post) • 0

I'm in Vietnam right now and avocados are everywhere! Perhaps importing them to China is a problem of logistics, but they are really cheap, popular, and delicious here. You can get them most of the year (except for maybe winter). I guess it's one of those things the Chinese don't really have an appetite for (like coffee) which prevents it from being imported. Maybe there's a business opportunity there.

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • +1

I think there is a big enough market among the foreign populations in BJ, SH etc to make it s real biz op,,then when the local population starts to eat,,,they will start growing in China.

Danmairen (510 posts) • 0

That Burma reference got me all giddy for a minute since I'm in Tengchong currently. Sadly of the 6-7 vendors I asked at the market exactly no one knew what an avocado was. Going down to Ruili next month. Any idea if they can be found there?

seahorse62 (141 posts) • 0

I've been buying avocados at Wicker Basket for several weeks now. I shop at the in the South, but I'm sure they have them in the West and the North. They aren't a hass avocado, but they are still good.

Related forum threads

Login to post