GoKunming Forums

Living with CoVid-19

duke is me (64 posts) • 0

Covid-19 affects everybody differently, and hopefully your infection does not morph into Long Covid.. My cough and phlegm-hocking lasted for 8 months.. Now, after 32 months, I have a normal bowel movement, fewer chronic headaches, milder brain-fog, but still some chronic fatigue.. There is no treatment or cure..

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

Between the lines of these new policies, my take is that the concern for foreign arrivals is now not in bringing fresh infections to spread, but rather not needlessly burdening local health care system with sick foreigners. Perhaps not so much a problem in first tier cities, more so along Yunnan borders for example.

fabey (124 posts) • +1

Announced yesterday, for those (like AlPage48) leaving for Bangkok/Thailand for transfers, a 48-hour negative test result (in English) may be required for travellers from Kunming.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

Thanks Fabey.
Where was this announced?

As usual it seems the only notification I receive is from GoKunming forums. Airline and travel agent have not given any notification and browsing the web just in the past hour yields nothing from Thailand either.

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

Globally there is some pressure to implement the 48-hour negative test requirement for arrivals from China, but airlines, travel agents and transfer hubs may play it safe and require it already even if destination country has not yet made it official.

They probably want to avoid the trouble and responsibility if such requirement comes up when a person is already transferring in Bangkok, for example. A person may be prevented from boarding the connecting flight to Europe for example, and then who pays...

fabey (124 posts) • 0

JanJal is correct. It may depend on airlines. AlPage48, you should check with your airline carrier again a few days prior to your flight to Thailand to avoid complications.

The airlines may also notify you the possible requirements for passengers to show proof of at least two covid vaccinations and health insurance (en route to final destination where PRC is required), along with the 48-hour negative covid test (more so from holders of Chinese passports).

Thailand's ministry of public health seems to be strategically obtuse... safeguarding its borders while treading carefully not to offend China and the influx of Chinese travellers expected to help boost their travel industry.

For those somewhat in the dark, in one Kunming residential compound alone that I know of, 13 have already died from Covid-related illnesses. Major hospitals in Kunming are busy. It takes months just to make an appointment for a CT scan. This is why some nations and companies are playing it safe prior to the lunar new year.

Thanks Fabey.
At this point I think I'm inclined to get the covid test even if I may not need it.

For Thai entry I've already got my vaccination certificates and health insurance ready.

My only concern at this moment, then, is that I have no idea where I can get a covid test.

It seems like most of the community testing centers are shut down and hospitals are restricting testing to inpatients.

DaveKM (1 post) • 0

Where can you get the 48 hour negative test in English? I'll be heading to Australia next month via Bangkok. It actually says that the test doesn't need to be in English for entering Australia, but if Thailand requires it now I guess I'll still need it anyway

fabey (124 posts) • 0

For DaveKM and AlPage transiting at Bangkok to other destinations should be exempted from providing proof of vaccination and insurance. Though check with your airlines regarding covid testing. The bigger hospitals in Kunming may provide printed English test results if need be.

The Thai Embassy updated the following notice just an hour ago:
www.thaiembassy.com/[...]

"Highlights of New Thailand Travel Restrictions starting January 9, 2023 at 1:00AM

Airline passengers the age of 18 year or older must provide the following:

1. Proof of Vaccination OR a letter from a doctor stating you have recovered from COVID-19 within the last 180 days.
2. Proof of Insurance

(if traveling onward to another country whereupon a PCR or ATK is required for entry).

You can buy the recommended insurance here: Thailand Travel Insurance.

Passengers who are unvaccinated must prepare a letter from a doctor specifying as to why they are not vaccinated.

Exempted persons:
1. Thai Nationals
2. Foreign Nationals with Thai government social insurance required for Work Permit
3. Passengers who are transiting at the airport

More details about the new Thailand Travel Restrictions:

PRE-DEPARTURE TO THAILAND 

> Proof of vaccination required (Thai Ministry of Health Approved vaccine list) or obtain the letter from the doctor i.e. recovery from COVID-19 or medical reason for not receiving a COVID vaccine.

> Recommended: Health Insurance which covers medical expenses while in Thailand.

However, health insurance is mandatory for passengers traveling on to another country where PCR or ATK is required.

> Recommended to take an ATK test prior to your departure and also during your stay if you feel unwell.

Book your hotel stays at SHA+ hotels in Thailand.

DURING YOUR STAY

> Self protection such as wearing masks in crowded areas, frequent hand washing, and the practice of social distancing.

> If you feel unwell, please visit a hospital.

Last updated: January 8, 2023 at 3:15 PM"

Here are other websites that posted on the changes of entry rules:

www.bangkokpost.com/[...]

www.straitstimes.com/[...]

"The civil aviation authority also released a list of 16 Covid-19 vaccines that are accepted for entering Thailand as of Jan 6.

They include one dose of Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine, two doses of AstraZeneca, two doses of Moderna, two doses of Pfizer or three doses of Anhui Zhifei Logcom."

It's getting more complicated.
I have all the documents needed (vaccination and insurance) for entry into Thailand since they don't require a Covid test.

I'll only be staying for a few days, though, then I'm moving on to Canada.
Technically I'm not transiting in Bangkok, so there's no connecting flight, but Canada will still want the covid test (in English or French) because I've been in China within 10 days.

Related forum threads

Login to post