GoKunming Forums

Flying in the time of Covid

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

Including the US in "those not taking it not serious" makes me wonder.

With a population of about 330 Million the US has performed 415 Million COVID tests.

Vaccine dose administered per day in the US are running at 3.5 Million (7 day average) and about 39% of the U.S. population has received at least one vaccination and 24% is fully vaccinated, according to the CDC.

The seven-day average of daily US deaths is 714 on 16 April.

US immunity, fully vaccinated plus cases, is about 33%. Given that each day in the US about 1% of the population, 3.5 Million of the mostly vulnerable people, is getting a dose of, one or another, vaccine, the case rate is expected to decline.

The US uses "PCR" testing which is somewhat problematic and another topic.

lemon lover (1006 posts) • 0

The chance that outbound travellers from China carry Covid is near absolute zero. At the moment there are 314 active cases and nearly all of those are in isolation hotels. The only community spread at this moment as far as I know is in Ruili and well contained.
Case load in Turkey is 685 per million in China 0.22 per million (Of which the majority is in isolation hotels because they come from elsewhere).
Even in Yunnan with its 83 present cases the case load is only 1.5 per million.

The daily new cases for China and Yunnan are lower because the numbers I have are total active cases and not daily new cases, thus the case load is even lower.

OK Correction for Geezer:
Biden takes Covid serious, Trump didn’t.
At the moment 212 cases per million (Down from 750/m) in the USA.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

@Lover I will accept your China stats without comment.

As for Trump, well I guess mobilizing government and pharma companies into action, contracting for hundreds of millions of undeveloped vaccines, and having two viable vaccines being delivered into American shoulders in nine months rather than the typical four or five years (Biden got his first jab a month before he took office) and tasking military logistics experts organize production supplies and plan vaccine distribution sorta shows a modicum of seriousness.

Biden's contribution was to proclaim he would have 100 million doses delivered in 100 days at a point when vaccine production was well ramped up, and the average rate of shots was well over 700K per day by the day he was sworn in. When this was pointed out to Biden, his response was to order a few hundred million more doses of already developed vaccine.

Trump, for all his bluster and mean tweets, did what business leaders do: He organized leaders, set goals and targets, and applied pressure when needed. Trump led the orchestra, set the tempo and things happened.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

i seem to remember that Trump did not want to use the wartime production act, stated that the virus was a hoax, said that masks were not necessary, and created a culture of covid denial, leading to the additional deaths of 100s of 1000s of americans. and a survey showed that a lot of americans will not take the vaccine, a continuation of the trump culture.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

@Dazzer But Trump did use the wartime production act, at least twice, or at least used it to gain "cooperation." Even the Great Saint Fauci said that masks were not necessary while he was advising Trump.

Trump uses the word "hoax" a lot; it is a poor word choice, in my opinion. I don't remember Trump using "hoax" re COVID, but I'll give you that one.

"created a culture of covid denial, leading to the additional deaths of 100s of 1000s of Americans" Actually, there was a time when two Million American deaths were forecasted. Today American deaths are said to be 567K. That number is legitimately disputable and, given the odd cause of death rules, maybe overstated.

For example, hospitals were paid 3X the government money if COVID was the cause of death. In one case, a guy was shot twice, but a postmortem PCR test indicated the presence of COVID, and COVID was given as the cause of death. In New York, elderly persons with COVID were moved to nursing homes, and 15K vulnerable old folks in those homes died of COVID. Human nature at its finest: Pay more for COVID deaths. You get more COVID deaths. As the Governor of New York said, "They're dead, who cares."

Yes, there is a reluctance to get vaccinated. There are multiple reasons, and they don't have much to do with Trump. First the issue of side effects. Generally, there is little information as bad news is being suppressed. There have been some bad batches but a remarkable silence on side effects or adverse reactions. It is also difficult to schedule an appointment to get the shot as ALL APPOINTMENTS are filled in minutes every week.

Everyone I know, 100%, has, or is, getting vaccinated.

But this week, the head of the CDC said once vaccinated, you can begin to enjoy life. Great! But Saint Fauci wasted no time in getting on TV saying "No." Even vaccinated, and we are to keep wearing masks, only congregate in small family groups in private homes, keep social distance. Biden echoed this news. And they are saying this is going to be the protocol until 2022 sometime.

If 3.5 Million vaccine doses are being given daily, 1% of Americans, I have to call BS. First, Americans refusing to get vaccinated, and second, that Orange Man Bad is the reason.

Geezer is still a believer (In the Big Orange One) and I think that nothing will make him change his mind.

He beliefs in somebody that suggested to inject bleach or insert a strong light. Or take anti malaria medication.

Fauci only had restrictions on masks at the time that the US didn’t have enough PPE for health workers and essential staff.

Fauci is absolutely right in keeping up the standard anti pandemic measures. This because vaccines are not 100% effective and vaccinated people still can be vectors in the spread and there is always the danger of vaccine resistant strains.

As always he also beliefs in all kind of conspiracies such as the suppression of information. Always the same with the old Geezer.

For your information: Russia and China had Covid vaccines before the US had.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

@lover You are mistaken on my feeling about Trump. I was a “Never Trumper” until he was nominated and did not vote for him in 2016. That said, I was surprised and impressed with the economic successes he made; lowest unemployment overall, high employment rates for Blacks, Hispanics, Asians and women plus strong GDP growth. The US income disparity also lessened with wage growth of the lowest paid workers exceeding the highest paid.

As for the “malaria medication,” it seems Fauci’s own National Institutes of Health - published on August 22, 2005, under the heading “Chloroquine Is a potent Inhibitor of SARS coronavirus infection and spread” Write the researchers “We report that chloroquine has strong antiviral effects on SARS-CoV infection of primate cells. These inhibitory effects are observed when the cells are treated with the drug either before or after exposure to the virus, suggesting both prophylactic and therapeutic advantage.”

Said Dr Fauci's NIH in 2005. “Concentrations of 10 μM completely abolished SARS-CoV infection.” Fauci's researchers add: “chloroquine
can effectively reduce the establishment of infection and spread of SARS-CoV”

Neither the WHO or US CDC advocate for the lockdowns that Fauci seems to, maybe, might have called for. Fauci has flipped and flopped using weasel words like may, maybe, could, possibly, “at this point in time” so often I agree it is difficult to state when he was actually wrong. On masks, he was sincere, smooth and convincing when he said “there is no reason” for Americans to walk around wearing masks other than “for show.” Today, Fauci is fully vaccinated but wears double masks.

Again, neither the WHO or US CDC advocate for the drastic lockdowns Fauci favors.

Lastly, questions are finally being asked as to how and why Fauci, despite Obama's on virus "gain-of-function" research in 2014, continued to finance such research. Watch the news.

Related forum threads

Login to post