GoKunming Forums

Proof that we can't leave

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • +1

I got my second extension today.

They didn't ask for any screenshots but I was asked to write out a note about why I wanted the extension (flights not available).

Today they also told us that if I can get our American issued marriage certificate authenticated by the American consulate then they'll give me a 1 year residence permit.

I wonder why they didn't say that last month.

Now waiting for an appropriate reply from Chengdu.

It could be complicated because although we were married in America, we are Canadian.

joming (23 posts) • 0

Thanks for the updates, both SPoproy and AlPage48. Looks like you two might have bumped into each other at the PSB.

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

Going a bit off-topic, but anyway.

@AlPage48:

"if I can get our American issued marriage certificate authenticated by the American consulate then they'll give me a 1 year residence permit

[...]

although we were married in America, we are Canadian"

If both of you are Canadian like you say, and neither has Chinese nationality, then I doubt that you can get 1 year RP - or does your Canadian spouse already have valid residence permit here, and the visa hassle is only yours?

Or if there is some dual nationality thing going here, it could land your spouse in trouble with that.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

My guess is that the minimum for a married couple visa is 1 year if you're staying in China.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

Update
First of all on the married visa.

My wife is Chinese born but a Canadian Citizen, however, through no fault of her own she is now above 60 years of age.

China is now allowing those former senior citizens to return and have additional "rights" and that includes permanent residence status.

That would qualify me for a Q1 visa which goes with a residence permit.

For the marriage certificate authentication we're out of luck. The American consulate in Chengdu replied that they will only certify documents for non-American citizens that are for use IN America.

They were good enough, though, to provide the steps we can take to get that authentication, but it will take time.

JanJal (1243 posts) • +1

@AlPage48: "For the marriage certificate authentication we're out of luck"

It's not just you out luck, it's same for all nationals. The initial info from PSB about the authentication was wrong or misunderstood.

Authenticating foreign documents to be used in China is a multi-step process in which a foreign consulate in China has no role.

Their boss, I assume in case of USA the Department of State and related office in USA, however has a role. They need to authenticate a document before it can be authenticated by Chinese consulate in USA.

For documents to be used in China, the final stop is always the Chinese consulate in the country where the document originates from.

Similarly if you want a Chinese document to be legit in USA, the final step is US consulate in China.

That said, some consulates or other service providers may provide service where they will send the relevant document abroad for said processing. I don't know any that do, and at this particular time courier options may be even more limited.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

@JanJal
You're correct in that the PSB gave the wrong advice, probably from lack of knowledge.
In their reply to me he US consulate did provide me with the steps I needed to take, including authentication by the Nevada state department and final verification by the Chinese consulate in San Francisco.
Naturally I can't get to either of those places but I've initiated email contact with the state department and may be able to have friends over there act as my agents if such is permitted.

michael2015 (784 posts) • 0

@AlPage48
There are several services based companies that provide proxy authentication services, as long as you have the appropriate documents (eg limited power of attorney) and the cash (typically ≥ USD 1k) to burn.

If you need a referral, I used a company based out of Texas in 2016 - which I was forced to use as the US State Dept refused to authenticate my children's birth certificates, which they issued - even after I paid to have them issue NEW birth certificates.

Absolutely shameful reprehensible behavior by the US State Dept - targeting children of US Citizens born abroad, in this manner. Our tax dollars at work - paying the US State Department to NOT do their jobs.

The Texas-based company - experienced with a website full of positive (of course) testimonials - to include mine.

Please PM me if you would like the referral and I'll dig through my email archives for their website link.

JanJal (1243 posts) • +1

@michael2015: " US State Dept refused to authenticate my children's birth certificates, which they issued"

Just curious why they would have needed to authenticate documents that they issued themselves to begin with?

Or was it about them not going the extra mile of having the said documents authenticated in Chinese consulate in USA?

Related forum threads

Login to post