GoKunming Forums

Clearing the table

Ishmael (462 posts) • -1

@Mike: It's 'our' duty to provide an example of 'civilization' to the Chinese? I think that's arrogant. 'We' are civilized? Questionable - what do you mean by 'civilized', anyway? Are fast food restaurants 'civilized', anywhere? How do you know?
I don't think I'm one of your 'we'.

JanJal (1243 posts) • +1

I think that the whole "citilized city" tag that Kunming and its authorities were aiming for (failing at that), shows that what China tries to achieve is not much different from what has been achieved elsewhere, in terms of some sort of objective definition of "civilized".

Naturally some would not agree with the whole concept, but (especially in country like China, unfortunately) that is really irrelevant. What matters is what the leaders want.

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • +2

You know I just groaned when I saw this topic start up. Most of us posting here have been in China a very long time. People who migrate often have gripes about the country they've moved to. I guess that's human nature. But clearing your own tables at KFC??? I suppose this must be the custom in the USA but I'm pretty sure it's not a rule particularly followed in many other countries - the UK for example. To use fast food etiquette as the starting point for exploring the supposed character flaws of the people of an entire country seems a bit of a stretch to say the least.

And in general I find these bitching sessions often descend into the condescending and hypocritical. Just my tuppence worth.

Ishmael (462 posts) • +1

@cloudtrapezer: Ditto. I would add: often descend into the irrelevant-to-topic, which includes, among other things, insulting discussions of posters' character, although that latter syndrome is itself irrelevant to this one.

Ishmael (462 posts) • -1

@Mike: 'We' are going to lead by example and thereby 'civilize' the table habits of Chinese people in fast food restaurants by having them behave as Americans (and, perhaps, some others) do?

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • -4
Comment hidden by user downvote Click to expand

Frankly ricsnap that's a disgusting comment. You really ought to be ashamed of yourself. It's also pretty parochial. Go to any town in America and you can see a bunch of fatties looking absurd in plastic aprons and gloves gorging themselves on giant sticky ribs. Where do those bones go?

Related forum threads

Login to post