GoKunming Forums

China Mobile Shop

newlaowai (20 posts) • 0

Can anyone recommend a China Mobile Shop with english speak staff?

Central Kunming or Beichen area would be preferred.

herenow (357 posts) • 0

The staff at mobile phone shops have audio translation apps on their phones and are generally quick to use them if you look like a foreigner.

The last time I bought a phone, I started out speaking Chinese to the guy but he still insisted on using an app. We did the whole transaction that way and it actually went quite smoothly. So I wouldn't worry too much about whether or not there are English-speaking staff.

Better yet is to have a translation app that you're familiar with on your own phone if you don't already (and provided that your reason for visiting the shop isn't that your phone is out of commission). I find that the Baidu Fanyi app works well.

newlaowai (20 posts) • 0

Thanks @hearnow, for your suggestion but I really do need a shop with staff that can speak English. Whilst the translation APP will help to an extent, a speaker of English would be better. I have a really unusual problem happening with my phone service.

I've used the translation APPs to understand the problem, but this results in a misunderstanding of the situation.

So, please. If anyone can suggest a shop with English speaking staff, I would be ever so grateful.

herenow (357 posts) • +1

Since you're not getting a direct answer to your question so far, I will throw out a few more options:

- China Mobile probably has a main customer service center (营业厅) someplace downtown where you may have better luck. I use China Telecom and they have one. Local phone shop staff should be able to give you the address.

- If that doesn't work, you might try visiting the local corporate headquarters. This is somewhat unorthodox, but there’s actually a reasonable chance of success since many of the staff will be university graduates who majored in business or technology fields and thus are likely to speak English. Of course this may involve finessing some awkwardness with receptionists and such.

- You could check online for an English-language customer service phone number -- many large Chinese companies have one.

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • 0

Easiest option might be to take a Chinese (or Chinese-speaking) friend with you to the nearest China Mobile shop and start from there.

Related forum threads

Login to post