GoKunming Forums

Raising a child in Kunming

jj123 (99 posts) • 0

@liumingke,

Sorry but you are also incorrect.
You assume that if a child does not go to a "school" they cannot or will not learn as well as going to a formal school.

Homeschooling is as or more effective than any formal school.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

I never excluded home schooling. However, homeschooling here has move advantages because the child will be exposed everyday to Chinese culture and language. It is the same problem when Chinese students try to learn English when it is spoke seldomly. They are exposed to it passively.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • +1

some people have used words that allow conditional (probably, may, etc) correctly, and have been attacked as if they had used definite case, when they defo didnt. someone else is talking definite when they should be using may or might instead of is. i wouldnt want them for homeschooling my english

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • 0

I guess there's a whole debate to be had about the pros and cons of home schooling but it wasn't what I, for one, was addressing here.

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

Anyway, most foreign parents considering Chinese education for their children will weigh the pros and cons of doing so.

Learning language better is one thing, but the negative aspects of political indoctrination is another.

This is especially, if the child is mixed, and possibly even Chinese national.

Personally I have some political views which make me more sensitive to that issue, than to burden of massive homework for example.

Would of course be nice to have child to fully learn Chinese language and culture, but woudn't want to "lose the child" in process.

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • 0

Not sure what kids here are indoctrinated in these days apart from China is wonderful and getting even better. Anyway children are resilient. I was thoroughly indoctrinated by Catholic monks but haven't been in a church except as a tourist for more than forty years. I also guess parents have at least as big an influence as schools on children's thinking. But I guess if you're that worried, home schooling is the only safe answer. Even private and international schools may have to conform to local rules and practices.

faraday (213 posts) • -2

"learning native Chinese" in my view is not a sufficient reason to educate a child in China. I am trilingual and in my youth it did allow me to apply for menial jobs in a few countries. fruit-picking and table-waiting etc. For professional and international life, really fluent English, even with a thick scottish accent, is infinitely more important than any number of tribal languages.

Anyhow, google and tencent already have instant universal translators on the way so languages are obsolete and only interesting for historical reasons.

education is a huge scam and a waste of money, the only exception is Hogwarts (my alma-mater). Otherwise, I'd say find the cheapest possible (ie move to europe if possible).

And i almost forgot the reason i began to write in the first place: connecting to an earlier post, i saw a tv reality-show from china where indeed the teachers (default profession in china for anyone who isnt capable of anything) took every opportunity to single out the foreign kid. That child clearly had behavioral issues and probably did not turn out to be a happy camper. He was a ginger, too, poor little fella.

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • +2

Tribal languages, universal translators and Hogwarts plus a sneaky dig at Ed Sheeran. Surely that post must win some sort of prize.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • +2

here we go again, denigrating teachers. is it any wonder the education systems of the western world are fugged up. if all teachers are by definition tossers, then why pay them well, or resource their classes. leads to poor results of students, poor retention of staff, and not attracting best people, leads to comments about teachers being tossers, and the wheel goes round again

JanJal (1243 posts) • +1

@cloudtrapezer: "Not sure what kids here are indoctrinated in these days apart from China is wonderful and getting even better."

I think that pretty much sums it up. Everything is perfect, and only getting better. Had it not been for foreign influences, everything would have always been perfect in past too. No dictators here, only chairmans.

Related forum threads

Login to post