GoKunming Forums

Newcomer in Kunming from Australia

Klose (6 posts) • 0

Dear all,

Now I have finished my PhD in Melbourne and will join Yunnan University as an assistant professor shortly. As a newcomer, I would very much like to make some English-speaking friends. My interests are music and sports. Please add me WeChat (lizheng2131) if you also want to make friends. I am sure we will have some great time in Kunming.

Cheers,
Zheng

dolphin (509 posts) • -5
Comment hidden by user downvote Click to expand

I have never actively seeked out friends online, but then again I don’t have many friends.
Good luck!

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • +4

If you're interested in sports you may want to check out the Rugby Football club.

I don't know anything about it but others here on the forum could fill you in.

Klose (6 posts) • +1

AlPage48, thank you! Sounds quite interesting! Yes, I am a football (you mean soccer, I assume) fan. For music, I actually like classical music.

dolphin (509 posts) • -2

you will meet people at your workplace, in the building where you live, at the local restaurant. You don’t need to advertise.

bilingualexpat (219 posts) • -1

Welcome to Kunming. I assume you're of Chinese descent based on your name.

Out of curiosity, may I ask what are the current percentage of Chinese PhD candidates in Western academia?

My recollection was many years ago around 50% of PhDs in the U.S. are mostly Chinese and Indian.

Klose (6 posts) • +1

Well, of course I will meet people, but I assume that it is unlikely I will meet many English-speaking ones, or?

debaser (647 posts) • +5

You'll meet a lot of English speakers in Kunming... as Dolphin says, you'll meet them almost everywhere. I don't know if you speak Chinese or how well but if you only hang out with locals and speak mandarin then it might not be so easy I guess - kind of the opposite of people coming here to learn Chinese but the only socializing with English speaking foreigners. Welcome to Kunming and good luck!

Related forum threads

Login to post