GoKunming Forums

Criminal background check

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • +1

Not done it, but I noticed a sign this week showing where they offer the service in the PSB building on TuoDengLu (opposite Kunming Museum). Be warned, the building is covered in scaffolding and netting, but it is open.

jadorechocolate (37 posts) • 0

If you're a US citizen, you'll probably have to remotely request the check from your state of residence. You can have someone file the request for you though, so you don't have to be there in person. The Chengdu and other US embassies in China do not offer that service (plus you'll need to get it notarized, and then authenticated by your Sec of State-Lt. governor)

kiara (39 posts) • +1

@Ocean thanks! will go and check
@jadorechocolate Thanks, I need one issued from Chinese authorities as well as one from my home country. I am looking for specific infos about the one issued by Chinese authorities. You're correct, consulates and embassies abroad usually cannot issue this kind of certificate

michael2015 (774 posts) • 0

If you're a US citizen:

If the document(s) is/are for use in China, AFTER you have it and all other required documents authenticated (such as university diploma, teaching credentials, etc ad infinitum), ALL your documents must then be authenticated by the Chinese Embassy (NOT the consulate) in Washington DC. Send it as ONE package, so you only have to pay ONE fee as opposed to individual fees for each document.

In the USA - it's easiest to request an state justice department or FBI criminal background check. As those documents are done at state level, you only need to have them then authenticated by the US State Department, which should have at least one office in every state (but not always).

Hopefully - you're NOT doing this for employment in China...it's rigorous and onerous the first time around.

kiara (39 posts) • 0

@michael2015 thanks for your input. I am not a US citizen and yes, I am doing this for employment in China

kurtosis (86 posts) • -1

@kiara: what country are you a citizen of?

Some European countries have much easier procedures where you can apply for the check online. And have it delivered electronically.

Rainbow.English (1 post) • +1

You can get this done in Kunming.

You need to go to a notary and have your fingerprints done on a special form.

You get this from the Exit and Entry Bureau.

This is near Dongfeng.

kiara (39 posts) • 0

Thanks @Rainbow.English I asked the 派出所 I am registered at and they were very helpful. First step is a notary certificate and fingerprints, then the Entry and Exit bureau .

Related forum threads

Login to post