GoKunming Forums

Other cities have sites like "GoKunming"?

Hotwater (205 posts) • 0

For Guangdong there are a few...

www.gzstuff.com covers Guangzhou but it’s almost dead

www.shezhebstuff.com us same owners as above. Don’t use it much as the forums have cliques of bitchy trolls. There’s also Shenzhenparty but don’t look on it often

Zhongshan Renn died a year or two ago due to the owner being a douchebag

Hangzhouexpat is okay but getting quieter by the day.

A shame really but a lot of the chat/forums function seems to have switched to wechat.

bilingualexpat (219 posts) • +1

Shanghaiist blog has just been shut down!

From Telegraph.co.uk:

Expats in China have been mourning the loss of a popular offbeat news website and blog which was abruptly taken offline by its US parent company.

Shanghaiist, which was set up 12 years ago, was closed by New York-based Gothamist network, along with a string of websites which carry out street-level reporting in major cities across the world.

The decision came after reporters and editors in the combined Gothamist and DNAinfo newsroom in New York opted to unionize.

The company said that there were a range of factors which had caused it to “discontinue publishing”, while chief executive officer Joe Rickets blamed the general business environment.

“DNAinfo is, at the end of the day, a business, and businesses need to be economically successful if they are to endure,” he said in a statement that has been posted at the Shanghaiist’s web address.

Just realized the shuttering of DNAInfo also means the end of @shanghaiist, easily one of the best resources for China news & information

— Connor Sheets (@ConnorASheets) November 2, 2017

Mr Rickets also said that the company’s websites have 15 million visits each month by over nine million people.

Shanghaiist has more than 200,000 followers on Twitter. It also reportedly has four million views per month and more than five million fans on Facebook.

News of the website's demise prompted an outpouring of sorrow on social media.

We’d like to warmly welcome @shanghaiist to our sad club. It was the granddaddy of all #China blogs. Sad to see it go.

— The Nanfang (@thenanfang) November 3, 2017

Dan Washburn, who set up the website in 2005, said in a Twitter message: “In an instant, a huge, important, chunk of my life gone, vanished, erased. And what for? Heartbreaking.”

A former worker said: “When I worked at Shanghaiist, I assumed I'd eventually push it too far and taken offline or censored. Never imagined it would come from US.”

When I worked at Shanghaiist, I assumed I'd eventually push it too far and taken offline or censored. Never imagined it would come from US

— Erik Crouch (@erikcrouch) November 2, 2017

Fans of the website took to Facebook to express their sadness.

“The Shanghaiist isn't running anymore!!!!! This is so sad...I love reading this!!!! =(,” said one comment.

Another said: "Noo - we'll miss you! Really sad the site is down.”

Source: www.telegraph.co.uk/[...]

dolphin (509 posts) • -1

shanghaiist forum was like the jerry springer show. the forum was full of low-life name-calling and vicious hateful racist comments. which was in part fueled by perpetual sensationalist negative news.

criticizing a country is one thing.

do a google search and see how many times the word "ch*nK" appears on that forum.

this forum was fostering animosity between chinese people and westerners.

and people think it's ok because the forum is not based in China.

and this guy running this site was laughing all the way to the bank allowing this perpetual name-calling and racist rants to take place on his forum.

absolutely disgusting.

sometimes censorship is a good thing and necessary.

good riddance.

debaser (647 posts) • 0

"sometimes censorship is a good thing and necessary."
erm...really? OK. Who gets to say what's censored or not? Why?

Dolphin, welcome to the forum. Just like Shanghaiist there are morons here too and -isms but it would be a sad day indeed if GoKunming (or any other such valuable resource) was taken down because some people said the wrong thing. You can't really expect anyone to swallow the rubbish spewed out by the 'official' (natinalist) sources can you? Finally, maybe I missed something but I don't think the article said that end of Shanghaiist was due to censorship.

dolphin (509 posts) • +1

debaser,
I don't know. Censorship is a complicated topic.

I just thought the animosity, name-calling, and racism was out of hand on that site.

Related forum threads

Login to post