GoKunming Forums

Gynecologist recommendations in Kunming?

bilingualexpat (219 posts) • 0

Thank you @dolphin.

Today, there's a breaking development covered in major news networks regarding our discussion.

Type "HPV" in Google News.

dolphin (509 posts) • -1

Sorry, I changed my mind. I'm back.

People on here who are dismissing side effects are ignorant.

I assume this website is actually approved by the manufacturer of the HPV vaccine, so this is official information. So first of all realize that there are potentially serious adverse effects.

www.drugs.com/gardasil.html

Gardasil 9 vaccine side effects

Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction to Gardasil 9: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Some people have had seizure like reactions after receiving this vaccine.

Developing cancer from HPV is much more dangerous to your health than receiving the vaccine to protect against it. However, like any medicine, this vaccine can cause side effects but the risk of serious side effects is extremely low.

-----------

So now I would like to add: Cancer is only more serious if you are fortunate enough not to have a seizure, which can be fatal? I'm guessing seizures can be fatal? Any doctors here? And that's assuming that HPV does lead to cancer, which I am not convinced ...

dolphin (509 posts) • -1

abcnews.go.com/[...]

Parents Want 'Opt-Out' Option for HPV Vaccine, Study Finds

Controversy over the HPV vaccine has persisted for a few reasons.

... parents often did not trust there was a need for the vaccine or did not feel they knew enough about it. Approximately 23 percent were concerned the vaccine could cause long-lasting health problems and 32 percent thought the vaccine was a ploy for drug companies to make money.

... 60 percent of people don’t believe the vaccine is effective in preventing cervical cancer.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

Note these words and phrases:

consensus

23 percent were concerned

32 percent thought

60 percent of people don’t believe

None of these reflect science.

There was a time when the consensus was and the majority belief was that the earth is flat and the sun and moon revolved around the earth.

When ignorant persons give medical advice, or use opinion aggregates, to support dubious uninformed

medical claims, they are endangering lives.

bilingualexpat (219 posts) • +1

Peanuts.

My one word response to @dolphin's above first post.

Something as simple as peanuts could be more fatal than the worst cancers for those who are allergic to peanuts.

So it's worth noting those considering any vaccination or medical treatments like chemotherapy drugs should check for allergies to its chemical components.

Regarding common side-effects of Gardasil 9 from the evaluation of 13,000 men and women:

The adverse reactions included "swelling, redness and pain at the injection site, and headache" as announced yesterday by the FDA upon their expansion approval for this HPV vaccine for ages 9 through 45.

Here in China, the vaccine has already been approved for 9 - 45 years of age. However, the Gardasil 9 vaccine is still difficult to come by and much more expensive than back in the States. For now, most hospitals in China only offer Gardasil 4, which vaccinates against four common HPV strains that may lead to cancers. Whereas Gardasil 9 prevents seven types plus 2 types of genital warts.

I believe @Geezer has tackled your follow-up post.

And since @dolphin has introduced numbers into the discussion...

lets hear what else the U.S. FDA announced yesterday:

"HPV vaccination prior to becoming infected with the HPV types covered by the vaccine has the potential to prevent more than 90 percent of these cancers, or 31,200 cases every year, from ever developing."

The FDA approval is based on numbers from the CDC (Centers for Disease Control & Prevention), "the results of a study of 3,200 women followed over 3½ years. The study found that Gardasil 9 was 88% effective in the prevention of vulvar, vaginal and cervical precancerous lesions, cervical cancer and genital warts caused by the nine HPV strains."

88% is a number nobody should overlook.

Side note:

Don't be "sorry" @dolphin for returning. The door of knowledge is always open to anyone. Never stop learning and evolving.

At the very least you are interested in this topic, whereas many people still haven't heard of HPV.

You're digging, albeit in all the wrong directions, is helping this post stay afloat in lieu of being buried in obscurity.

Even if one curious reader stumbles upon this post, learns about this virus on his/her own volition, takes necessary precautions, perhaps circumventing an unforeseen demise. How gratifying that would be for all of us as the anonymous benefactor?!

So for that, I thank you.

@Geezer is correct. Lives can be endangered if people are dissuade from taking evidence-based and peer-reviewed medical recommendations that could possibly prevent terminal illnesses.

The scientific-based medical facts are in ubiquity, yet they are ignored due to preconceived, emotional core belief biases.

It's like attending a renowned medical convention full of Nobel Laureates, you could approach any one of them to chat, yet you seek out the lone & deviant witch doctor for medical advice.

The most egregious act that witch doctor can commit is propagating false medical claims which would inadvertently result in harm rather than benefit for the innocent victims.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • +1

typical! a thread about womens stuff, hijacked by the usual suspects, descends into a macho pissing contest

M1985 (1 post) • 0

Let us try this again. Does anyone know if the Gardasil 9 vaccine is available in Kunming and at what cost? It was approved earlier this year, but apparently there have been some shortages and I don't know if access is mostly limited to larger cities. Thank you.

satii (82 posts) • -1

As far as I know, Gardasil 9 isn't available in Kunming. More luck in Hong Kong. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can verify this.

Related forum threads

Login to post