GoKunming Forums

China Eastern again

mike4g_air (788 posts) • +1

it's just a matter of time.

I dont know if this serious incident is being reported in the media...i'd like too know.
The following are facts not obtained by the media
avherald.com/h?article=49f37b96&opt=0

The following is a comment posted by a subscriber on the aviation herald forum.

China Eastern CRM (Lack of)
By West Coast Wrench on Wednesday, Oct 12th 2016 09:58Z

For those of you who wish to gain some insight into methods and standards used to train China Eastern pilots I urge you to visit the North Campus of the Civil Aviation University of China(CAUC)in Tianjin.

If you walk the hallways of the first two floors of North Campus Teaching Building #25 (where China Eastern pilots are trained) you will find at least a dozen students sleeping in class, even more students mindlessly staring at their phones, or reading.

There does not seem to be a lot of learning/training occurring.

From my direct contact with China Eastern pilot students HF,SMS, and CRM are only vague concepts that are not presented to them with any professionalism or maturity.

Oddly enough in China many ground school instructors (80%+)are not pilots, nor do they possess adequate knowledge of the operating environment.

How many more China Eastern incidents or accidents have been kept hush hush? I know that many are never reported.
The following are facts not obtained by the media
avherald.com/h?article=49f37b96&opt=0

voltaire (225 posts) • +1

Pilots and air traffic controllers are basically anachronisms at this point, we need to get rid of humans as fast as possible in our transportation systems. So much death due to operator error.

nnoble (889 posts) • +2

Never consider booking with China Eastern but this thread makes me wonder about safety in any airline anywhere in the world since competition now is cut-throat. Aviation industry in China is growing exponentially.

bluppfisk (398 posts) • +2

I think many who currently hold a job has slept through uni, including me. I don't feel that makes me worse at my job.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

First off, I am not in the defend China Eastern camp, so no hate plz, that being said...

I met a China Eastern trainee pilot. He acknowledged that training was rushed and not up to western standards. But he did make two very interesting points. Chinese carriers all have new modern planes and the runways are very long. He said these two factors make up for lot.

I'd just add that maintenance is still very stringent and risk of terrorism low. These also contribute to a high safety record in regards to fatal crashes in China. Still, all the landings in China are a bit rough, so still shows lots of newish pilots manning the fleets.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

I used to sleep in class at uni. Then just decided skipping class and sleeping in bed was a better idea.

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

At the end of the day there are internationally regognised tests that they'll have to pass and observance in a plane for moths on end before they are allowed to fly a commercial aircraft.
Those people who sleep and miss the course won't be passing.

Competition is stiff, so I won't be losing sleep over who's flying the plane next time I'm in one.

As far as I'm concerned when it comes to China Eastern its the person in charge of selecting in flight meals that I think hasn't been trained properly.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • +1

I've never had a problem on a China Eastern flight. I can't say much for the people on the ground though. Too many times I've had flights cancelled. One time they wanted me to fly to Hong Kong 4 days earlier to meet their new schedules! That's not very good when the object was to meet a connecting flight to Canada.

Related forum threads

Login to post