GoKunming Forums

China Eastern again

Pooliekev (10 posts) • +2

I just spent the evening in the company of a Canadian pilot who flies for the new Guangxi Airlines and his Chinese boss.

Now the Canadian bloke has been training and flying with this airline for a year and a day. He didn't even get in the air until he'd completed 3 months training under CAC rules even though he'd flown Embraers for four years in Canada. It took him another three months to get from First Officer to Captain.

It really is not easy to get a pilot's licence in China if you speak to those who have actually achieved it.

So, on that basis, I wouldn't believe something off a website. Classroom is one thing, taking a plane up is something entirely different and much further down the road/runway.

rejected_goods (349 posts) • +1

well, flying is not driving. a pilot may have to be certified for that particular airport to fly that route. the old hong kong Kai Tak airport was the one in mind. you had to fly into the Lion Rock banking to the right, almost doing a hairpin turn while descending to the "one three", then disappearing in a sea of buildings. you had to read loud the air speed and altitude non stop while doing that with the warning beeps ticking away until you were sure all were lining up with the runway......and on a clear day you could even make comments on the local's choice of color of their underwear hanging on the clothlines if........ hahahhahahah, not a easy task.

rejected_goods (349 posts) • +2

it was lucky that the captain was taking off at sea level, thus manage to climb over the A330. in Kunming, with elevation at 2000m, air density that gives a lift becomes critical and it could have been a different story. in general, it would be a better bet to break Max then run the damn thing on grass instead. don't be a hero.

:-)

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • +1

@mike. Too be fair, I know in the US there are also plenty of near misses and overworked tired controllers. I fly a lot as a passenger, and stepping into a modern jet on a Chinese airline, I am not really worried about a fatal crash. I am worried about the inedible stuff they call food and how rough the landing will be.

mike4g_air (788 posts) • 0

Hi Alex.

Of course, but anything this serious would make it in the the news.

Has this incident been placed in china's media?

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

@mike4g_air

I'm sure pilot/ radio error happens all the time, here and elsewhere.

If it happens too much then they'll be stopped from flying international routes like Afriqiyah and Air Zimbabwe have.

You're reading a few headlines and letting your imagination run away with you.

End of the day, if you don't like China Eastern then avoid them. I avoid Hainan Airlines like the plague. Easy done.

Has Chinese media reported it? Evidently. From the website you linked: ''Chinese media are reporting.....''

rejected_goods (349 posts) • 0

Procedures for crossing:

1.Taxi following the instructions of controller to the holding position and hold short of RWY;

2.Cross the runway immediately upon receiving the crossing clearance;

3.Repeat all the ATC instructions concerning “hold short of RWY or cross the RWY”; Any questions shall be clarified before crossing RWY;

4.Pilots shall monitor the ATC instructions or information about RWY and watch the activities on and around RWY;

5.Finally, report to controller ‘RWY vacated’.

6.While crossing RWY after the take-off aircraft, pilots shall be responsible for the safety distance with the aircraft to avoid the effect of wake turbulence;

now. had the A330, a320 crew observed rule number 4? that rule sits there for a reason, in case the tower......... right?

why ONLY the controllers were punished?

that is very interesting to me.

obviously, this time the control was at fault. but it is also known that some flight crews of smaller operators and private jets in china have the propensity to ignore repeat tower orders, like the crew would ignore "abort landing" to give priority to another craft experiencing problem. if that doest not get clean up........ it will be problems...

:-)

mike4g_air (788 posts) • +2

@ Napolean

"I'm sure pilot/ radio error happens all the time, here and elsewhere".

It's not imagination when you compare incidences and accidents caused by the pilot vrs non pilot related reports.

Try a search (on AVherald) of the world's most popular airlines, few, very few show pilot error.

Try a search of China eastern. You'll see quite a few mistakes made by the pilots.

Many serious..

Mike

Related forum threads

Login to post