GoKunming Forums

Another Kunming kid abducted

voltaire (225 posts) • 0

Apparently the police are presently investigating the abduction of a three year old child early this morning at Liangyuanqu.

This follows the mass abduction of children from outside Kunming schools some 12-24 months ago, which was never solved and resulted in visibly heightened police presence at school gates.

For others with children, be careful.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

GPS trackers for parents to track their kids are available. If I had a kid I would be one in my child's shoes or backpack. They also have telephone watches for kids that parent can use.

Alien (3819 posts) • +2

OK, I get it, but when I was a kid I would've hated to be watched all the time - sounds like a US NSA project.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

It is estimated that between 12000 and 30000 children are abducted in China every year. At least now there is some technology to do something in the first (most important) 24 hours. The police don't usually react that quickly in China.
There are lots of articles about missing Chinese children online, for those who care to search.
When we were kids, the technology was not there, and at least our generation had a childhood. Unlike your average studybot here.

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

Charlie says "Always say no to strangers".

Worked for my generation, needs to be translated into Chinese. Would solve a lot of this mess.

Alien (3819 posts) • +2

The figures make it very unlikely that a kid, especially a foreign kid, would be abducted in Kunming. I'd be surprised if Chinese parents don't already use a phrase similar to 'say no to strangers'.
I think one of the important things about childhood was making sure you weren't watched all the time, despite the best efforts of many parents. GPS could be useful, as long as parents are not hovering over it all the time in a mistaken attempt to see that there is never any danger of anything anywhere - at any rate, I think abduction is one of the less likely dangers that confront kids, especially in China, where obviously-foreign kids would be pretty hard to sell.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

The GPS is not to actively track them all the time. It's a just in case use. They have them for pets too. In many complex, my dogs are missing because the owners don't leash them. If only they had bought a GPS tracker for that one chance of the dog wandering astray out of your sight. It's even useful for the elderly with dementia or Alzheimer's.

Related forum threads

Login to post

This thread is locked.