GoKunming Forums

Is Chenggong a ghost town?

Andy8 (9 posts) • 0

Hi guys. I've been offered what seems like a very attractive teaching job... Although I while I thought it was in Kunming it turns out to be located in Chenggong. Having a good social life as an expat would be really important to me but so would be getting to work without a long and difficult commute. Any thoughts on the quality of life in Chenggong right now? Is it as empty as every internet article makes out?

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

There's some sort of small scene out there but nobody from Kunming proper goes out there to have fun.

Andy8 (9 posts) • 0

Thanks guys, those links were helpful. I guess I'm just worried about having SOMETHING to do on an evening after work in Chenggong rather than being stuck in my apartment looking at the walls. Weekends will most definitely be spent exploring elsewhere!

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

Beware of jobs that paint a pretty picture. Once there you might very will be treated like a serf.

Andy8 (9 posts) • 0

I'll be a classroom teacher at a primary school. Most of the staff will also be from overseas so hopefully it will be okay. Hopefully!

bucko (695 posts) • 0

Nothing to see here (Chonggong). Just the way I like it!

Don't come out here expecting any sort of excitement. Not even a good restaurant in this place. Best you stay in Kunming.

bluegrass14 (126 posts) • 0

If you enjoy hiking or being able to walk outside without having cars and scooters coming at you like they're actually trying to hit you, Cheng Gong is a great place. True, there is very little restaurant options besides Chinese, though there are some decent local places, and a good Indian restaurant. But if you are looking for nightlife outside of being surrounded by thousands of Chinese university students, maybe not the best place for you. There are a few metro stops in the area that will take you into the city within an hour, so you could head to the city after work, get an hour nap on the subway, and be around more expat nightlife.

Andy8 (9 posts) • 0

Cheers Bluegrass, v helpful post. As long as there's a few restaurants and I can get in to town easily seems like it should be okay. :-)

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

Just realize that if you miss that last train back home, which in some stations can be as early as 10:30ish, you are in for an expensive cab ride.

Related forum threads

Login to post