GoKunming Forums

2016 Olympics

goldie122 (645 posts) • 0

Is there a point? Some people just like to post links with no added opinion or question... strange.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

I remember when the Olympics came to China in 2008.
. It's was a nice feeling. Was glad to be here though I didn't get a chance to go to Beijing. I don't think in Brazil the feeling will be the same. It's a disaster with the Zika virus going around and the thugs and crooks around the venues. You couldn't pay me to see the Olympics in Brazil. Wouldn't be surprise if it was postponed or cancelled.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Yes, this is going to be one of those - Just Wait and See - type of things. Unfortunately, all Olympic games are political and this one is no exception.

I just hope this is not an opportunity for someone who wants to make a statement. The police presence is going to be huge, not only inside the stadiums but also outside to protect the tourist population - Before, during and after the games.

This event will also have a huge impact on the other Latin American countries as Olympic tourism is huge both before and after the games in neighboring countries. I have a Bad feeling about this one.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Beijing wanted the games, the people wanted the games and China could afford the games.
In the recent bidding for the winter games countries pulled out. The people of Oslo said no.

In Brazil, the whole run up to the games has been controversial. The human cost of displacing people, the financial cost to a country that cannot afford it (recent studies have shown that countries don't get the money back in future tourism and business), and the local security problems that already exist in Rio (areas of the city are no-go areas for police due to armed gangs). Many people in Rio don't want the games. The bay area is polluted with sewage, beyond safe levels.

These are just some of the internal factors.

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

It seems that every World Cup and Olympics begins with the other countries saying 'We didn't REALLY want it anyway' after they loose the bid.

This is then followed by months of 'The stadiums will never be ready, It should be cancelled' and 'It's not safe'. Then the Americans will always try to politicise it in some way.

Then the games begin, everyone likes it and it's always marked as 'The best World Cup/Olympics ever'.

Then the process begins again for the next one. We've had World Cups and Olympics in America and Europe many a time, don't mind if the rest of the world gets a go do you?

I'm sure it will be fine. I'll be watching and cheering on our Kristy Coventry for a gold.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Promote great sports, but are essentially massive upbeat bread-and-circus internationalist distractions promoting local nationalisms.
Just kick the ball and let's play.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

The sad part is that after the Olympics is over many of the structures that where built for the games are neglected and vandalized. Makes you wonder if it's worth it.

Related forum threads

Login to post