GoKunming Forums

2016 Olympics

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

The Olympics has not been a pure celebration of sport for a long time. It has been politicised for many years, at least since 1936.

Don't blame pet hobby horses for politicising things. It is all the usual suspects.

One reason to hold the games is political profile in the world. For a country, or a party, or a president, or all of the above.
The same is true for the World Cup. So much is at stake now. This is probably true for the massive levels of corruption we have seen connected to these huge events.

Yes certainly cheer your national team and favourite competitors.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Yeah, cheer all you want for whatever team you like, but don't be taken in by what is going on - political profile, etc., as you mentioned. World Cup same - indeed, all the usual suspects, riding a lot of hobby horses. "British (or Brazilian, or Paraguayan, etc.) society is great, just look, 'we' won gold! (even though I'm currently out of a job and medical expenses for my daughter are...)."
And sport, in itself, is such a great thing.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

It`s becoming a headache and too expensive to host it.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

I wonder if any countries will quarantine their athletes coming back. No need for the USA as zika is already in Florida.

Related forum threads

Login to post