GoKunming Forums

Yunna-Vietnam Cargo Rail

DanTheMan (620 posts) • 0

The Chinese version of the article says the 8 containers from the Chinese side had to be unloaded after crossing the border and packed into 16 meter-gauge cars on the Vietnam side.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Don't know about the Viet Nam side, but the new line on the Chinese side must certainly be standard gauge. The old (French-built) RR was narrow-gauge on the Chinese side, and also (I'm pretty sure) on the Viet Nam side.

opper (52 posts) • 0

@Alien, the new line is standard gauge, but it isn't connected to Vietnam yet and the new Hekou station (Hekou Bei Zhan) is about 5-10 km out of town. The China terminus on the old line is called Hekou Zhan and is about 200-300 meters from the crossover. The old line is parallel to the Hekou-Laocai bridge and is still there but I didn't see trains pass through it when I was there about two months ago. I could imagine this narrow gauge line is the route being used for transport described in this article.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

What's the exact location of Hekou Bei Zhan? Can't find it on maps.

opper (52 posts) • 0

That area hasn't been updated yet on the maps, it was a major hassle to get there from the border on bike because only taxi drivers could give good directions.

If you search for 雷响田 in hekou that should give you a rough idea where it is.

Related forum threads

Login to post