GoKunming Forums

What do you love about Kunming?

Silvio DaVinci (282 posts) • 0

Very funny yankee00, I love the order and focus on drinks and food.
I have to second the food. Definitely a lot of variety (many fruits and vegetables I've never seen or eaten before and I was always anti-vegetable). I just hope I stay / get healthier because of all the stuff they put on the plants and in the ground. Anyhow, I'm glad I eat more veggies.
Good beef. Darn am I glad there is tasty beef here. I'm staying away from pork though, but can't help but love the beef. BBQ, dried beef, beef sticks, beef strips, ground beef, orange beef and ground beef in eggplant.
My favotire drink: warm sweet-corn juice and WLJ/DJB. Why don't they sell this in the rest of the world?

The other thing: no begging, nagging, attacking, bugging or mugging people, children and gangs. (and no significant amount of homeless). There's work for everyone even if it pays only a little. And people are willing to work. They don't ask for "Change..."

And no tipping! (not for deliveries, taxi, restaurants, bars, or simply getting a haircut) Pretty awesome! (although I'd think people should do it in moderation in restaurants). I think it's good so staff are not suffering from a bad day. At least there are no employers who steal tips (like in France) thus no disgruntled staff because of it.

hanshan (32 posts) • 0

I am here five years and honestly now I like weather in Kunming.

I love Yunnan and countryside very much, food and peoples there and everytime I am back in Kunming from some trip, I feel so sad.

I also love other big cities in China. About China and countryside I can say many positive things and reasons why I am here in China, but honestly, Kunming in my eyes lost the magic of "Beautiful Spring City".

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

''The pleasant number of people, especially minorities, who are always eager to make you discover their culture. Easy access to surrounding mountains for quick escapades. Easy and cheap access to neighbouring countries. The abundance of fruits and vegetables that come from the region. The single clove garlic, a true lifesaver. Dai food. Lao beer. O'reilleys burgers''

@Yankee, agree with everything except maybe the garlic :D

Adding:

1) Clear skies and sunny days. (after living in Hebei for three years, I had forgotten there was stars!)

2) The amazing expat community. People are so laid back and friendly here!

3) Love the fact that I don't get stared at and 'Helllllooooo'd' like in many other cities of this size and smaller in China.

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

The public transport gets its fair share of crticism on GoK forums, but i find the buses cheap and plentiful (if crowded on occasions), the taxis affordable and honest (I know others have different experiences) and I look forward to using the subway. I've lived in places a lot worse!

johannesjohannes (57 posts) • 0

I love the people.They stare at me I stare at them.I also like the fact that its very easy to start a business here.It takes little money and little guanxi and there

Is a huge amount of costumers.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

I love how mmkunmingteacher and tommann create new forums every few days to entrap others into silly debates.

I am still not sure if you are also crazylaowai? Can you put this issue to rest and let us know clearly if you previously used the alias of crazylaowai? Yes or No?

mmkunmingteacher (561 posts) • 0

@HFCAMPO:

1. I am not razylaowai.
2. I create "threads", not "forums".
3. I do not "entrap others into silly debates." If you cannot handle the fact that I have strong opinions on food and culture, then simply ignore me and I will go away from your mind.
4. I am sorry that you consider these discussions to be "silly", but in my personal opinion, they are worthwhile.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Thanks for letting us all know that you are Not crazylaowai and that you are only tommann.

Related forum threads

Login to post