GoKunming Forums

First Halloween in Kunming... What to do?

KyleAsh (14 posts) • 0

This is our first Halloween in Kunming and I am wondering if there are any fun things for kids? My husband and I are only living in China for a short amount of time and so this may be our only Halloween in China and I would hate to miss out on something because I didn't know. So are there any fun things for families and children for Halloween?

Quester (233 posts) • 0

Halloween is mainly only celebrated in America isn't it? Not as much interest even in other Western countries, yet alone China. But I think there was a Fair on the weekend at KIA, did you go to that?

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

Like KIA is gonna celebrate haloween. don worry abut haloween, as china has lots of its own festivals to play with. you will see lotsa stuff in carrefour etc that is haloween related but not seen many kits wearing it. trick or treat would be some old man giving kids candy and then whisking them off to the brick factory

Gerryirish (2 posts) • 0

Eh....Halloween is one of the biggest/best nights of the year in Ireland. Where Halloween originates. Not only for kids, trick or treating for sweets, nuts, fruit and even money in some parts of the country but also for adults. People everywhere dress up, not just on Halloween but for the nights preceding and following the main event. Quite the sight, the whole town going out as ghosts and ghouls and whatnot. There are also huge firework celebrations and bonfires. It's also well celebrated in the UK. Alas, as for Kunming I know very little as I'm not long here myself.

Quester (233 posts) • 0

One funny thing is that you sometimes also see Chinese people celebrating Thanksgiving. Isn't the meaning of Thanksgiving something about pilgrims who went to live in America and had to learn from the natives how to eat corn? But I guess if people feel that is relevant to them, they could go ahead and celebrate it. What is the meaning of Halloween and how would it be relevant to people in Kunming?

seahorse62 (141 posts) • 0

Yea, there is a family at KIA putting together trick-or-treating for children at Hu Pan Zhi Meng. Last year, our children went. There were probably 15-20 families who said they would be willing to buy candy and let children trick-or-treat. It was so popular last year that I guess the same family decided to organize it again. You can call the office at KIA and sign up—least I think you can. There is a deadline so call soon. I would give you the number, but I don't know it. Good luck!

faraday (213 posts) • 0

The Chinese mid-autumn festival was just 2 weeks ago, why also celebrate the Celtic one? If you want to celebrate Halloween you should go to America or Australia, or some other Irish country.

Related forum threads

Login to post