GoKunming Forums

Americans who move to China, only to eat nothing but McDonald's.

tallamerican (396 posts) • 0

My dad first took me to Mcdonalds 55 years ago when they sold only Hamburgers, Cheeseburgers, Fries, Colas, and i think milk shakes. Not having a lot of money it was a real treat. I still enjoy once and while eating there as does my 81 year old father. We are both in wonderful shape and neither of us are addicted to Mcdonalds. @Dudeson's for the first 6 months i was in china i only ate Chinese food and that was truly the only time i have been really ill for an extended period of time. Once i started mixing my chinese food with some western i have for the most part felt great. Later i tried to eat all chinese again with the same result. Not everyone can tolerate the same things so i try to eat a variety of foods most of which my wife and i prepare ourselves. Lastly getting back to original post i to am concerned about any american who would have moved to china to only eat at mcdonalds.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

@tommann

Chinese food "we eat it every day and never get sick." Maybe true for Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou, and Shenzhen, but not true for Kunming. Diarrhea is pretty much rampant here due to a combination of unsanitary conditions and spiciness. Dysentery and food poisoning is not uncommon.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

tommann is a wuss. In portraying himself as a food whiz and a food adventurer he falls a bit short in my book. Fried pupa is supposed to WOW you and show his food coolness.

More than 40 years ago, at Ft. Sherman, we ate large, live larva while they wiggled. They looked like the moth larvae here.

www.gokunming.com/[...]

In the highlands of Viet Nam we ate rat, monkey, snake and who knows what else as declining to partake could have been dangerous. As we ate, our hosts would stare at us looking for a hint of reaction. My guess was they would feed us all sorts of stuff and were amazed we would eat anything.

C'mon tommann put your pointy hat on your big head and go chow down on goat or bull penis. How does human placenta sound? Yummy!

I am waiting to see you cook and tell us how bull dick tastes.

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

as far as spiciness goes, just ask the cooks to go easy on the lajiao or to omit it altogether. one potato dish i order, they put the lajiao on the side.

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

To people who defend McDonald's and complain that Chinese food makes them sick, please don't tell me you've never watched SuperSize Me and haven't seen the part where Morgan Spurlock talks about the "McBrick". And please don't tell me you don't know what he's talking about.

tommann (423 posts) • 0

AlexKMG, but how do so many of us do it without getting sick? I am not arguing, just wondering how so many people can eat Chinese food here with no problem, but some foreigners get sick every single day. Is it possibly a problem with the person, like an illness, and not with the food?

tommann (423 posts) • 0

Geezer, I would gladly cook and eat all of that, if you can tell me how to get my hands on it. I am not claiming to be some sort of food wiz. All I am saying is that McDonald's is horrible, terrible, crap food, and people who refuse to eat anything else, are destroying culture.

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

When I lived in Malaysia I went completely native with my eating for about 5 months. At which point I was pretty ill in a number of ways!

I think we are genetically designed to eat certain foods as well as being bought up on them. The human body is fairly adaptive, but not so much that you can completely upend your diet and it have no effect. This means people can survive on Mc Donalds in China better than they can survive on Chinese food because it is more like their native food. But life isn't just about survival...

Related forum threads

Login to post