GoKunming Forums

Anybody able to get a credit card here?

Ifoundthetuna (370 posts) • 0

@pmort
Could you tell me what PSB documents you need, is there a special document, anything specific or just the temp. residence permit?

I went to a few banks before but they all said no cards for foreigners, except corporate.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

You will need to have some security of your own here, i.e. assets in China.

Business (registered capital), house, spouse with security, etc.

Same rules as back home, if you want credit you need security in country.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

@tigertiger

HSBC does offer retail banking at the Kunming location. But they have no ATM in KM as of yet. Just because they can service retail clients, doesn't guarantee they can provide a China credit card, but they do go all out for premier clients.

pmort (19 posts) • 0

Just the normal registration form from the PSB, showing your residence address. I got it without having put any money down or without even having had another BOC account, as far as I know BOC is the only bank that will issue private credit cards to foreigners.

12345 (107 posts) • 0

Thank you again. May I ask where on BJ Rd? I'm sure there are at least a few BOC's along it somewhere.

12345 (107 posts) • 0

so, two days later than promised — which is supersonic in this third-world country — i got the document and went to the bjl boc.

they said that foreigners either have to buy an apartment here, or open a vip account with 200k minimum balance.

do you have either of those, pmort? and when, pray tell, did you get your card?

roberto (24 posts) • 0

i have the same problem, boc told me i need to own an apt here, being a vip user or similar..if u consider that there is a law that limits the amount of rmb to be changed into foreign currencies by laowais and the difficulties to change rmb out of china all these problems make sense to me..but if anybody has a shortcut i would be very happy to know it, tks for sharing!

Related forum threads

Login to post