GoKunming Forums

Foreigner Police Registration

tommann (423 posts) • 0

I need to register with my local police, but it has been a couple of months since I last moved. Are they going to detain me and interrogate me, or deport me? I heard a horror story from a friend who WAS in fact detained and accused of being a spy!

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

Hmmm, you ARE a suspicious character.

My advice would be to go and register before they come looking for you. Fill in the form honestly. And don't ask question or volunteer any additional information until you are caught registering late. When caught, claim ignorance, stupidity, and show remorse. I registered late, four or five days, after getting my visa renewed last year. Nothing was said.

The ladies, every time I have registered it has been ladies, might have a grain of sympathy for a giant American with a big head.

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

Reminds me that I need to re-register since moving 8 months ago... ha haa, as far as I can tell its a formality and claiming ignorance is best! I registered 3 weeks after coming in once, police didn't care one whit. Now I am registered but have moved house so should probably register again...

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

I got my residents permit renewed last Summer... maybe I should pop in sometime? (Feels like the dentist ...probably should go more often, might find problems I didn't know about, prevention now is better than bigger problems later, could be painful... etc). Wish there was an up-to-date list of rules somewhere!

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I don't know the rules, but if I change address in the city, leave the country (incl HK), or renew my visa, I re-register. I have been waved off (no need) but it only takes a few minutes.
Better safe than sorry.

At the moment things are lax. But if there is a clampdown, or open season on foreigners in the media, things could get stricter and more judicious application of the rules might be the flavour of the month.

pickley (17 posts) • 0

@yelp

I wouldn't do that... they can see every hotel you have stayed at which comes on screen when registering, and if he hasn't stayed in hotels no records will be found, which is kind of suspicious if he had been travelling for 2 months.

Your problem is that you moved house? I don't think that's an issue as they wouldn't know you moved anyway? Just tell the truth if they ask for it, I doubt they care that much though.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

I would not try to BS my way thru this. You are in violation of the law and it is best to cure it quickly.

Remember, you need passport photos, copies of your passport ID page, residence permit, and the re-entry stamp to give to them. You might also bring what ever rental/lease agreement you have in case they ask.

Usually, after a 你好,I give them all the stuff, they figure out what I want, they tell to have a seat. In about ten minutes, I get back the extra stuff and the registration permit. No charge. Easy. No pain. No problem. No worry. No cops or confessions.

Chingis (242 posts) • 0

Indeed, as Geezer says. Go register, ask no questions, offer no information unless directly asked. No one wants to do any more work than they have to, so make it easy for them, and you.

Related forum threads

Login to post