GoKunming Forums

Chinese cooking classes

anne_kmg (16 posts) • 0

Hi "English Tutour",

this is great news!!!

We met two weekends ago (in total three people with new interest from Sundancer) but so far there was unfortunately no cooking involved.

I am still really, really interested to finally get strolling over the market with an expert.

I am leaving Kunming for a week starting tomorrow (back next week's Friday night).

Would be great if you could text me (18787480411) your contact details so that I can get in touch with you once I am back.

Will let the other two girls and Sundancer know, too, in case they haven't been following this forum.

Anne

sbarella (105 posts) • 0

Hey!I was about to start a new thread when I found this old one. I'm interested in Chinese cooking classes, preferably taught in Chinese.anyone available?

sbarella (105 posts) • 0

I live in Kunming and I can't travel to Dali as often as I wish... I am looking for something in Kunming

Sophiae (1 post) • 0

Hi everyone, I would love to learn how to cook Yunnan food and was wondering where there be a place which offers cooking classes?

Thank you

Sophia

Jessie in Chengdu (10 posts) • 0

Hi there. Anyone wanna learn Chinese cooking? I would love to provide teaching in my apartment. I used to work and live in many places of China, so I can cook different styles, such as spicy food from southwestern provinces like Sichuan and Yunnan, various kinds of noodles/wheat-made food from northwestern provinces like Inner Mongolia and Shaanxi, stewed food and dumplings (jiaozi) of northeastern China and so on. In short, I'm not a professional chef but I love cooking and I cook every day. The only problem is my kitchen is small, so maybe I can only teach two or three people at a time.

Some background about myself: I'm a local bilingual speaker (Chinese and English) from a mix-raced family. I used to work for non-profit organizations in fields of environmental protection, health education, community development, etc. and now I'm a free lance translator working from home due to my one year old baby. Anyway, for long time, I've had this idea that I can share my hobby-cooking with those who are interested in my culture and develop it as a Chinese cooking teaching club step by step. And I even started teaching quite a few foreigners who enjoyed my classes very much last year in Ningbo, Zhejiang province. Unfortunately, we had to stop because of my delivery and later that year my husband and I moved back to my hometown here.

My short-term plans (open to your suggestions or ideas):

1. The class can be started ASAP. Students are greatly welcome to arrange a time with me according to their own working hours (Tuesday afternoons after 3 pm and Sundays are usually not available).
2. After a while, small groups (three persons) can be organized and come to my place on a regular basis. For example, one group can focus on southwestern food and members can change to another group later when they are fed up with food from a certain region and they wanna to learn another style of cooking.
3. Some extra classes are available like shopping Chinese cooking ingredients/spices in local markets, or tasting party will be hosted mainly for students or groups to share their study experience and cooking with others. And of course, it's an occasion to meet people, exchange food and culture from your own country and enjoy happy hours together.

How does it work:
1. Communication in advance what specific dish I will teach or students are interested to learn. I can try to do some research and tell the story about the dish say like how it was created, why it was named like this if there are any.
2. RMB 100 for each person each time all inclusive. I will prepare materials/ingredients and other needed equipment. Students can eat what they cooked together afterwards.
3. English recipes will be provided for students to practice after class at home or you are welcome to practice at my home (RMB 50 for each person each time) if you don't have a kitchen.
4. Contact me right away and start your Chinese food journey! jessiezhou636@hotmail.com; 18469180513

PS. My apartment locates in Yunnan Yingxiang in the north, two bus stops away from a Walmart and subway Linyuqiao stop, or 5 bus stops from Metro, the supermarket.

lawlz0mg (201 posts) • 0

wow thats crazy expensive, for 30 yuan or less i can make quite a few dishes. i could even invite a chinese friend over and they will do all the cooking and cleaning for free if i pay for meat and produce.

blue. (170 posts) • 0

50 rmb is very cheap. 30 is ridicolous. Maybe your time and skills don't have so much value.

English Tutour (123 posts) • 0

I'm not trying to be insulting but for 50 or 30 rmb you will get practically nothing and learn nothing IMHO> In my humble opinion.

First, Anne has a lot of knowledge. Second, she includes everything for the price, the food, the recipe, the knowledge and all the preparation that is required of her to do in advance. Third, 100 is not expensive at all.

You can't count only the food she needs to buy; she also needs cleavers, chopping boards, etc, etc. Plus you are learning a new skill from an experienced person. And her knowledge is valuable and you must pay her for that knowledge.

I wouldn't do cooking lessons for any less, and probably charge more. I have written 2 Chinese cookbooks and right now only cook Chinese food in my home. But I don't have the time to teach it and don't have a kitchen big enough, and I actually find adult learners of all kinds to be fickle, in other words, I would buy a lot of materials to provide for the class above and beyond the food and then after a short time, people would quit for any number of reasons. Besides, great deal of work goes into teaching new cooking skills to foreigners. Been there, done that.

Related forum threads

Login to post

This thread is locked.