GoKunming Forums

Dental care

ekoorbr (50 posts) • 0

Does anyone know a dentist that will see toddler-age kids? I called Huiying to ask if I can bring my 3 year-old for a cleaning and got a reply that amounted to "maybe but probably not."

SpartansSpartans (184 posts) • 0

"Stomatology Hospital" (i.e., Dental Hospital) of the Kunming Medical School on Renmin Lu.

I went there today to extract an upper 2nd molar "last" tooth which is compromised.

People smoking inside... they go to lunch at 11:00 and come back 2:30, I waited... then they refused to have it extracted, had to have a "chat" with 3 dentists for nearly 3 hours who kept trying to convince me to have root canal which I do not want since it's a last back tooth ... I wonder wh$$?

Now got back to Chenggong and wasted an entire day, still in pain.
Word of advice: AVOID!

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

Do you mean the one on Renmin West Rd? Did you try the VIP section there (4th floor, I think)? They have some English-speaking dentists (inc a friendly US-trained professor), a reasonable queuing system and some quality work. I used them 5-6 times in the past without a problem...

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Yes, we have used that one.
There is a consultation fee (100 I think), but there is no queuing and the associated shoving, you get privacy as well. A private treatment room, not the usual 5 dentists, patients and associated families staring.

SpartansSpartans (184 posts) • 0

Hospital: Stomatology Hospital of Kunming Medical College

Address: 193 West Renmin Road, Kunming, Yunnan Province

Yes, that same one. Some of the staff spoke english, they are actually not bad, but I don't understand why they keep trying to push root canals over extraction.

I've probably been everywhere on that building as I spent 8 hours there yesterday.

Wisdom teeth and 2nd molars can be extracted normally, it's common procedure, those teeth don't affect the bite, in my case don't even show in my mouth. why go for root canal ? They are so insistent. Would it be because they are trying to make $$$?

The buco-maxilo surgeon said my tooth is "too strong" and he can't pull (WTF???) then I visited a couple of endos and cosmeticals that kept trying to push me the root canal.

I will try going again on tuesday, if I don't go mad because of the pain first, they said the head of surgery dept will be there, if I cannot get anything from them, I'll go to a street corner butcher dentist and get it out. Jesus !

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

Most Chinese dentists don't like to clean children's teeth - superstitious - they believe they might damage their teeth - and in a society of generally one child - that could create a world of hurt and trouble.

That said - I've heard you can find join group discounts on taobao for adults (chinese language ability mandatory), although the dentist we saw (korean shop) - absolutely high end fantastic and inexpensive, based on the teaser, but definitely pricey for normal visits - but new equipment, well trained staff. Great experience if they can maintain an even level of quality.

There's also a pricey - but allegedly pretty good dentist somewhere in and or around the golden eagle shopping center (upstairs)...

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

If you have an extraction, there is no going back. If you have a root canal you can have a crown, and re-crown at a later date.
With an extraction, you transfer a lot of stress onto the other teeth on either side of the gap, this can cause cracking of these teeth as well.

In UK root canal is prefered over extraction. Extraction may be cheaper, but really is the poor mans option.

I have had a root canal, and porcelain covered gold crown for under 5000 rmb total bill at the VIP centre of a hospital, about 4 years ago.

It is more money, but it is not a rip off strategy. The one to beware of is when they tell you that you cannot have a crown and you need an implant. That is a potential rip off.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

A root canal + crown is preferable over extraction for many reasons except cost. Your tooth being too strong may really mean if they take it out you risk f'ing up your jaw or bite.

Related forum threads

Login to post