GoKunming Forums

E Bike Crisis

Vinny (6 posts) • 0

Hi, I was there (North registration place, 95 Longquan Lu, maybe 200-300 metres north of the Carrefour) today and registered my bike, no problems (I'm a foreigner!).

Yes there was a huge line but I arrived early (opens at 9, I arrived at 7.30) and it took me about 2 hours start to finish.

Hope that helps.

aiyaryarr (122 posts) • 0

E-bike registration may be an attempt to show legal vehicle ownership and/or legal Kunming residency, but that's not enough! The registration process should also mandate the licensing of all operators in order to make e-bike drivers aware of the traffic regulations so they are less of a threat to the safety of others. It seems few of the e-bike drivers have any clue of basic traffic rules.

Driving an e-bike to work is not an excuse to endanger others. A way to make money for the city is to levy heavy monetary fines for any and all violations! Twenty Yuan fine is a joke and should be raised to 100 to make it stick a bit in the minds of the e-bike drivers. If any driver does not obey the traffic regulations and pay the fine, then confiscation is in order. If the fine is not pay within a given time frame, another way to make money for the city is to sell or recycle the confiscated e-bikes as junk or export the better condition e-bikes to a place where e-bikes are legal.

JonathanMiller (76 posts) • 0

I had heard about this, but ignored it, as most Kunming drivers ignore the traffic laws ;-). After reading this thread I am wondering if I should register my bike (I have the fa piao), if ther has been an extension to the end of January and if I can send some one to register it for me?

Anywhere this law is actually written and published?

Jonathan

I had heard about this, but ignored it, as most Kunming drivers ignore the traffic laws ;-). After reading this thread I am wondering if I should register my bike (I have the fa piao), if ther has been an extension to the end of January and if I can send some one to register it for me?

Anywhere this law is actually written and published?

Jonathan

OK - I was able to send someone to the North registration station with my passport, fa piano and housing registration papers after two trips about three hours each I now have a properly registered motorbike.

Good luck!

vic077 (12 posts) • 0

I was told that on the second floor of the e-bike super mall on Xichang lu (just past the jinbi lu intersection) there is a registration office. Does anyone know if this is true?

EncryptedEncrypted (114 posts) • 0

Hi,
does anybody know if these registration offices are still open?

I just came back to Kunming so I have to go now to register it.

thanks

blueice (73 posts) • 0

Does anyone know what the specific regulations are at the moment?

As in, are they really not allowing 72v, 60v scooters to be registered? (How about 48v20a ones?)

I was thinking about buying a scooter on taobao, but I'm concerned that I won't be able to get it registered... if anyone knows anything please let me know, thanks.

DiegoDave (16 posts) • 0

I was at a few dealerships two weeks ago and was told the registration office is not currently registering any scooters. They'll will still sell you one but you'll be driving a unregistered scooter. Buy a used, already registered one. Just make sure the owner has all the paperwork (Bill of sale, plate, and registration matching the plate). There are counterfeit plates/registrations so take a knowledgeable friend with you when you're looking to purchase.

Related forum threads

Login to post