GoKunming Forums

Food Courts?

jimrothstein (4 posts) • 0

I am new in KM and would like to find a few popular food courts (i.e. seating, multiple vendors) in or around Beijing Lu/Ren Min Lu or the walking street area; lunch or dinner.

Don't need fancy, cleaner better than not, but most important is place is busy so the food is fresh and popular with locals.

(I also don't eat meat, so be great if have display samples and go from there, but I know can't have everything.)

Many thanks for suggestions.

Jammin' (1 post) • 0

There are brand new food courts on the fourth floors of the new shopping complex which used to be the Bird and Flower market on Renmin Lu. There are two, specifically; one north side and one south side i think. They're easy enough to find anyway. There are some really nice places there, some cheap, some not so much. There is Japanese, Thai, western etc. There's also a food court on the top floor of Parkson's mall, which is right on the corner of Renmin Lu and QingNian Lu. Not sure about the quality of the food though.

Many thanks, exactly what I want

Could you give me the cross street for these two new shopping complexes on Ren Min Lu?

Did find bright, clean "King Donut" in otherwise poorly designed, and mostly empty, Parkson's mall. (Didn't try the donuts; but pleasant upstairs sitting looking over Ren Min Lu, with coffee not bad. )

pushingeast (16 posts) • 0

There are several food courts in Kunming that serve local and regional specialties.

Two of the better ones is the one in the city centre called Xiang Yun Mei Shi Cheng (祥云美食城) which straddles Bao Shan Jie (宝山街) and Nan Qiang Jie (南疆街) at the back of the Parkson Shopping Centre. The other being in Xiao Xi Men (小西门) called Jia Xiang Xiao Chi Guang Chang (嘉香小吃广场) on the corners of Ren Min Zhong Lu and Dong Feng Xi Lu, hidden to the back of and underneath the Brothers Jiang Across the Bridge Noodles store on Ren Min Zhong Lu. Both are rather large, with quite a bit of choice from small vendors and with semi-communal seating.

There is also a smaller one diagonally opposite the Jian She Lu cinema on Long Xiang Jie (龙翔街) under Roberts School of Languages and the all you can eat BBQ place. There is a newer one under the Wang Fu Jing Shopping Centre(王府井)in the middle of the city. If your down near Shi Ji Cheng (世纪城) there is one on the ground floor of the main shopping centre next to Carrefour.

Thanks pushingeast; will try!

I have been to 2nd food court, where Ren Min and Dong Feng meet, and ate at a Hunan stall, which was perfect for vegetarian. Each item is displayed in a little, individual dishes, heated above a steam table - just pick what you want.

Four days in a row, I ate by color: orange, green and white (tofu) dishes for under 20 rmb total; all vegetarian (removed the pork from tofu) and low grease.

Unfortunately, then I got a little sick, and although I can't trace it back to this little Hunan gem I'm a little little shy now and need to diversify.

Thanks.

[Quote:

The other being in Xiao Xi Men (小西门) called Jia Xiang Xiao Chi Guang Chang (嘉香小吃广场) on the corners of Ren Min Zhong Lu and Dong Feng Xi Lu, hidden to the back of and underneath the Brothers Jiang Across the Bridge Noodles store on Ren Min Zhong Lu. ]

Danmairen (510 posts) • 0

I've been to the Parkson's one plenty of times (close to work) and apart from the Korean restaurant it really isn't that good.

There used to be a really good and interesting one not far from The Hump. Cross the road but before you get to Brilliant Plaza turn right and keep walking for maybe 2-300 meters. The entrance is kinda hidden but inside it's HUGE and with a really good selection. Sorry I can't explain exactly where it is. I haven't been there for 2 years and I'm not even sure it exists anymore.

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

@Danmairen: That one is still going strong. It's the Xiangyun Meishi Cheng that pushingeast describes.

marcardar (3 posts) • 0

I just tried the one below Roberts School but there wasn't much for vegetarians at all.

Much better, was another food court a few doors up the hill (same side) from Roberts School. One stall in particular, with a long queue (25 people) out on the main street had about 8 veggie dishes to choose from.

Queue up, grab a bowl of rice and then select about 5 toppings. Pay up, pick up your bowl inside the food court and enjoy. Lots of people also choose to takeaway either using provided containers or bringing their own.

Service is a bit hectic because they are so busy. No time for banter with the staff who seemed understandably stressed.

Food was good and excellent value (7RMB). I definitely appreciated the fact you get so much variety in one meal.

From what I can remember, opening times 11:30-13:00, 17:30-19:00.

The other stalls seemed nothing special and were nowhere near as popular.

Related forum threads

Login to post