GoKunming Forums

Driver License Test

JJ and Janice (324 posts) • 0

I went to inquire about a drivers license - - was told could not get one since I'm over 70. The "official" told me I should go to my embassy and get the birthdate changed on my passport! I decided to keep taking taxi's.

Cheers - - JJ

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • 0

the drivers license is valid for 6 years,,I heard after they may give you longer after the 1st or second extension,,but they also only gave me 6 years on my second extension so I am not sure if they ever give more then 6 years a time.

Tianli (42 posts) • 0

Hi Laotou and all,

The hotfile website is blocked in my company. Would you mind e-mailing me the file ? nathaniel AT farouz DOT net

Beside, can anyone explain the process in details ? I guess it would be helpful for a lot of people:
- do we need to register first, or you can just show-up with the documents and take the test ?
- Where is it ?
- Where is the official translation office ?
- Any other tip ?

Thanks to all !

piper (6 posts) • 0

Hi all,

The license is good for 6yrs the first time and supposedly 10yrs then lifetime.

I went a place called the society of translators in the town center, near the Golden Horse square of off Jinbi Lu. I don't know the address sorry. It costs 40RMB and yes, you need the official stamp(s). The company will also give you a copy of their company registration as well; they looked at this but didn't take it when I took the test so I don't know if you need that.

The test place is in the SouthEast past the airport. You can get there on bus 107 and get off third from last stop. You'll have to walk a little bit after getting off the bus to get there. Look for the traffic sign that says traffic control something like that.. They are open ALL day, even through lunch time. I wouldn't go at that time though. The first time, I got there at around 2pm and it was packed but clear out around 4. Second time got there at 10 and no one was around but as I was leaving, there were schools taking bus load of students to take the exam so avoid mid-day.

You can show up with the documents, register, take the test and get the license (if you pass) all in one day. You'll be running back and forth between 3 buildings, one to register, another one to get a physical (which is more like filling out a form and pay 12RMB), and one to take the exam. The test room is on the 5th floor once you get there. There are plenty of signs so look out for them for directions.

The test is computerized with 100 questions. You can tell them you want English, they might have it in other languages but I am not sure. You will know your score right away. After you pass, go to the office right across from the test room to get a slip then go back to the other building to get your license.

The test proctors were kind of a grouch but otherwise they are very helpful. In my opinion, this is one of the more organized government process and trust me I've had to run around to a few for my company.

piper (6 posts) • 0

One more..

If you want your license with your Chinese name, tell the translation place to put that along with your English name on the translated paper and they will let you use your Chinese name.

fogdear (99 posts) • 0

I just took the test and passed. They said foreigners are now Thursday only, and can only take the test 2 times in one day, which cost 60rmb for 2 times. The only docs I needed were my registration, license and translations, passport and at least 4 pics. Plus copies of everything. Apparently foreigners could used to take the test at other locations. Now they make us all go to this one place. She told me that I had to come between 9-11 to register, but could take it anytime of the day besides 1230-130, and no later than 4. The address in chinese is

昆明市车管所

经诸技术开发区
经开路24

After passing I had to wait more than 30 minutes for them to print the thing out. That was it.

Danmairen (510 posts) • 0

"1.1.1.33 When pedestrians are crossing a crosswalk, the motorized vehicle should _________.

A. Stop and yield
B. Bypass
C. Honk continuously and pass
D. Speed up in advance and pass"

After two-and-a-half years in Kunming I am fairly sure it's either C or D.

DaMiao (66 posts) • 0

1.1.1.33 When pedestrians are crossing a crosswalk, the motorized vehicle should _________.

A. Stop and yield
B. Bypass
C. Honk continuously and pass
D. Speed up in advance and pass
Answer: A

I was actually surprised by this answer in the drivers manual. I have been assured by numerous Chinese people(with drivers licenses) that the motor vehicle has the right of way is this situation.

Just as I was equally surprised by this:

1.1.1.38 When the police car, fire engine, ambulance and wrecker are executing an emergency task, other vehicles _____________________.
A. May speed up and join them
B. May overtake with care
C. May yield depending on circumstances
D. Should yield
Answer: D

Living quite near a hospital with ambulances passing by all the time,I've yet to see a vehicle yield to an emergency vehicle with lights flashing and siren blaring.Yes, I was assured by these same drivers that cars do not have to yield to emergency vehicles. They do tend to yield to Party Officials in cars and buses with flashing lights,though.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

Beijing rules vs most everywhere else. Currently china's culture is still on the selfish side - bit of a backlash from the one-child policy - but if we practice courtesy consistently - maybe 温明文昆明文人..gyahahaha...

lao_wai (18 posts) • 0

Of course, Beijing rules. Try and defy them. See how long you last.
Funny thing is...most couples I know here have more than one child. I think the "me first" attitude is due more to decades,if not centuries, of deprivation where if you weren't first in line, there likely wasn't anything left for you. Historical texts that I have read seem to indicate, to me anyway, that this self centered attitude has been around for a while.

Related forum threads

Login to post