GoKunming Forums

Driver License Test

piper (6 posts) • 0

I failed the exam last week and want to take it again this week. Foreigners can only take the exam on Thursdays now.

Does anyone know if I have to bring ALL the paperworks again?

I forgot to make a copy of my translated original license and wonder if I should get it translate again before I go.

Alcond (8 posts) • 0

Hi Piper... Have you passed that exam yet? Is there a book available, in English, that goes over the 100 test questions. I'm an American with an LA drivers license and tons of driving experience, but this is a new experience. Can you give me any "Tips?"

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

There's an English translation of the study book. Search thru the forums - if you can't find it Private Mail (PM) me and I'll dig around for an e-copy.

piper (6 posts) • 0

Hi Alcond. Passed the exam and got my license last Thursday :) I do have an English version of the manual. I see that laotou posted a link and I think it's the same one. If you can't download it, let me know and I can email you a copy.

Tips - the book seems very redundant and the questions contradict each other at time but pay attention to the specifics as you read. The exam questions are from the book. I knew I have seen the questions before but didn't remember the answer for things like what's the speed limit of a rural no divider road or things like that.

As for documentation, bring copies of - your translated foreign license, your passport, your household registration, and 4 pictures + 82RMB (60 for the exam, 12 for the 'physical' exam, for 10 for the license itself).

BTW, if your foreign license is also a motorcycle license, you can also get the equivalent Chinese one at the same time you do your car driver license.

Good luck. Hope you'll pass it the first time and don't have to trek back like I did!

fogdear (99 posts) • 0

did you need an official stamp on your translated license? i just translated mine myself and wonder if that will work.

also, where is the place? does anyone have a map?

AshCart (2 posts) • 0

You need an "official" translation. It's kind of a joke, I went to the "official" translation place, where the person assigned to translate our licenses didn't understand them at all. I ended up translating them myself on their computer. We still had to pay though, because they had the all important red stamp.

Related forum threads

Login to post