GoKunming Forums

Patriotism

liwei (8 posts) • 0

Is to lie a good manner? Is the pro-lie a good manner? I don't think China is great in all case, but in this case I have never heard that a Chinese has said he(she) hates all foreigner. The liar's motive is malicious. That will affect the psychology and the quality of life of yours, not mime.

As you please if you appreciated the comments posted by the liars like Dearleader and Dad-of-3 (he only have 2 children, ha).

KuiXing (16 posts) • 0

there are only 2 children in this story but he could have another child that wasn't there holmes "Rofl"

rejected_goods (349 posts) • 0

"....I have never heard that a Chinese has said he(she) hates all foreigner...."
never? really?

even in hong kong, mind you, a very open part of china has emerged elements of that new found exhibit xenophobic/"nationalistic" bias during the local political/universal suffrage reform debate, partly based on the preception that " look, we (china-a single party unelected government) saved the world in this GFC while all those developed countries with democratically elected government are in trouble. they (the west) have to learn from us and they better start making adjustment to our liking this time around." The wish of the Establishment to forever retain the undemocratic functional constituencies in hong kong has found a new "rationale."

i have just finished reading a book by Ian Kershaw, i hope........um

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

Not to get personal, but Liwei sounds like an typical Chinese mentality, ignorant, xenophobic, in-denial, takes any criticism of China as an personal attack and rather than debating the issue head on, changes the focus by attacking the opponent with some unrelated issue. "China doesn't have any racists because your mother is a homosexual transvestite that likes to sleep with donkeys while wearing a panda costume." I mean really...WTF? Stop acting like a immature kid on the playground.

Liwei, how is the number of children important in this debate. And since when is it required that a handle reflects fact? Is laotou a liar if he turned out to be an middle-age Chinese-American? Would you be shock to find out that Tiger does not have a tail, walks on two legs, and in fact very mush resembles a human and that there are other people on the planet besides onlyone?

Maybe you haven't head of a Chinese saying they hate foreigners because, oh I don't know, you are not a foreigner and that they have no reason to tell you. Or maybe you have selective hearing. It's like religious people, Holocaust deniers, and flat-earth believers, when you confront them with facts and logic, they just stick their fingers in their ears and believe what they want to believe.

Please do us all a favor, if you're not going to participate intelligently, then please shut your pie hole because you are not helping your cause.

But, other than that,

Cheers~

timkunming (87 posts) • 0

I feel bad for the op, because I can understand exactly how he feels. I've experienced this type of treatment on more than one occasion among acquaintances in and above my age group, late 20s and up.

In reality it has little to do with any conscious racial bias and more to do with ignorance. I've heard the same excuses again and again about how China was forced to bend to the will of foreign colonial powers, forced to suffer humiliating defeats, allow areas of their country to be annexed, etc. The most amazing part of this entire argument is that it really doesn't prove anything! China is not special in this context, and arguably (aside from a few well-known horrific incidents) made out pretty well in the end with a global financial center and an incredible network of production and transportation infrastructure built by the Japanese.

It's really just a scapegoat the Chinese use depending on the context of the argument. In a lot of cases you see one of two things happen when discussing anything of global significance with some Chinese (note I am not making a blanket statement about all of them). "We have 5,000 years of history and culture, so you should listen to us. We know what we're talking about." This is usually used to dismiss nearly anything an outsider mentions, regardless of whether it's "correct" by any standard of logic or not. The second is, "We've only been developing for 30 years, so you shouldn't expect so much from us," which is essentially used to excuse blatant xenophobia, disturbing social trends and official abuses...the list goes on and on.

It's really quite interesting that the op mentions his Chinese should be considered to be upper-intermediate. You would think that this would be welcomed, but I've had experience that says otherwise. When you just get to China and can't wrap your head around tones, can't form a cogent sentence, and essentially blabber like a fool the Chinese will tell you, "Ni de Zhongwen shuo de hen hao," or something similar. A nice gesture to say the least, but I haven't figured out whether it's genuinely meant to make you feel more at ease or a bit of a jab. I guess it depends on who's making the statement!

However, once your Chinese gets to a point that it could be called "fluent," or "really good" things start to change dramatically. Add that to being a westerner with a good grasp of any local dialect and it changes even more. You find that the compliments don't seem to come as often and when you're among them they seem to be far more cautious about what they say.

You know too much! They don't want you to always be around because they know that you're going to catch everything they talk about, and for some reason they have some sort of instinctual need to have their secrets and be able to speak freely without having some westerner listening in. It's just a characteristic of a group of people that have been isolated for so long that it's difficult for them to accept.

Granted with a lot of young people it seems to be getting a lot better, but there are disturbing trends as well. I've found that middle-aged Chinese tend to be far more accepting of us and more interested in learning new things. The education system has done well to encourage the young to harbor illogical resentment against outsiders and instill a sense of superiority even as the vast majority with financial means run to Australia or Canada as fast as they can.

The coolest thing to do is to show them WHY they can like you. Chat with them in your courtyards or when you run into them on the street. Bring them some fruit or small gift and show the effort to create what could be a great friendship. You may even find this kid's mother is actually a cool person, if only a bit misled. It's worth a shot!

liwei (8 posts) • 0

I wish the ocean is peaceful, too, but sometimes the bias can bring about tsunami - just like the things happened in the eve of the Beijing Olympic Games and the Xizang(Tibet) Riot, and so on.

Some people promote the Universal Values everywhere. Ha, how ridiculous and hypocritical! For instance I even don't have right to be right in this case. It's makes me disgusting to talk with the ridiculous and the hypocritical. Bye.

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

You don't have the right to be right? How hypocritical is that? You have the right to have an opinion, you have a right to state your opinion, but what makes you right? Just because you said so? And what about Dad's right and everyone else's right to be right then, huh?

So far you haven't said anything to bolster your case, all you've done is ridicule others and now you are leaving because you are disgusted? Boohoo, are you going to take your ball with you too?

You know what, good riddance. You've proven yourself to be nothing more than and ignorant, annoying jerk. Go get some IQ points and maybe we'll consider letting you back in.

Have fun in where ever you are going. I'm sure there are plenty of people there to join you in your circle-jerk session.

Cheers~

onlyone (156 posts) • 0

Tonyaod,

You are amazing writer with a high ability of expressing .I would like to read to you more in this forum

Cheers~

Related forum threads

Login to post