GoKunming Forums

Let's Remember Where We Are

timkunming (87 posts) • 0

Matt makes some good points and I can't really say I disagree. Granted, it's not the first time this has happened and when a fight goes down I think it's usually looked down upon.

Kunming is a small place and I'm sure the details about it will become known eventually...and in this case being there along with Matt it was regrettable as it very possibly reflected badly on Ai Hua's business that night at Chapter One. As foreigners it would be cool if we were judged by the same standard that Chinese judge other Chinese by - as any visit to Kundu on any given night there are fights, but it's simply not the case.

Anyways it's certainly good to mention it as a reminder that we're still guests here no matter how long we've been here. It's easy to forget, I guess.

Also, I haven't been on Navy shore leave but I imagine it was similar to that, possibly with more chicks.

jimsc (9 posts) • 0

So Mr Calmatt informs very vaguely us that something like a bar brawl has taken place, and then insists that no one ask questions. Mr CM, Did you major in advertising, or are you just a Dipeshite?

What the hell happened? That is the first step; it should precede the part about why the hell this is so important. Mr CM, you have yo shite backwads, son.

Never heard a post so right as freewaxyballs: "By the way, what happened exactly? Who was involved? Who was to blame? Can anyone give some more details. I enjoy a good drama."

Yo, you started this. You finish it.

taejonwill (38 posts) • 0

Bar rooms fights I've witnessed remind me of two bears waltzing on their hind legs and growling at each other, but even sans violence, drunken boorish behavior at bars is crass. The point of drinking is to get stupid and lose contact with reality. If you stay out to 3:00 or 4 in the morning, the words turn to mush even if they are friendly.

Tiger (66 posts) • 0

I may be wrong, and it may be different for different countries, but I remember a clause in a passport application, that one should consider oneself a guest of the country visited and that diplomatic behaviour should always be in mind.

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • 0

I was there when the fight,,(whatever you want to call it) happened. The fight was over quickly and no one was hurt, but outside Chapter One afterwards what did shock me was one British guy (sorry not sure from where) telling one Thai guy very agressivly that he would "bite his nose off", for a relaxed place like Kunming the guy seemed very wound up,,or maybe just hungry.

CalMatt (25 posts) • 0

I'm sure the Kunming gossip-mill will fill you in about the details of the fight if you're so eager to hear them. I was hoping to avoid bitchy name-dropping in this space, that's all. Plus it's entirely irrelevant to the point of my post.

Something tells me the very people who can't see the difference between foreigners and Chinese fighting in China are the same ones who would complain loudly about foreigners fighting in their own country.

Related forum threads

Login to post