GoKunming Forums

Linking MasterCard and Visa to WeChat

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

Take your passport to open an account, and if you can't handle the language, take a friend.

One thing I found very different from when I worked at the bank in Canada was the id. Back home we required photo id to open an account, such as a passport, but we did not keep a record of the document on file, unlike here where they take a copy and when you get a new passport you have to tell the bank.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

I open three bank accounts.
Bank of China, Construction Bank and China Merchant Bank. I couldn't open one at Algricultural bank because they said they weren't set up for it yet. Bring your passport and a Chinese friend.

alienew (422 posts) • 0

How hard is it for you to get through the day?
My bank is 2 blocks from where I live and when I don't have any more cash, I go there and get some more, about once a month. System has worked well for many years.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

how hard is it for you to buy stuff online using cash? how long before some places only accept epayments? oops! it started already, how long before others follow?

alienew (422 posts) • 0

What do you have to buy that I don't that requires epayments? As for buying things I haven't seen or touched, the only things I buy are airline tickets. I have a debit card for that.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Buying gasoline on the highway to Dali, they no longer take card payments. Only cash and mobile epayments.
I read an article last week (sorry can't find the link), a convenience store has just opened (USA I think) that only takes mobile epayments. You don't even need to checkout.
The trend is for banks and businesses to move away from cash, completely if possible.

Many have moved away from card payments. This has been the trend for at least 10 years in the UK, mainly because card fees (including debit) are so high for the retailer. In fact banks also charge a significant amount for handling cash from businesses; which is why many retailers offer 'cash back' services (you can use your card to draw cash at the checkout).

What does the future hold? Perhaps a cashless and cardless society (more class division), where all payments are automatically taken out of your ewallet as you walk out of an almost staffless store, and all data is mined to maximise sales and profits. However, once a computer has taken my job, you won't be able to get the robot to buy a new car, or shoes, or drink coffee. Even selling cappuccinos online will have been botified.

alienew (422 posts) • 0

@tiger: good thing I don't have a car.
By the way, why would a cashless and cardless society mean more class division?

Related forum threads

Login to post