GoKunming Forums

Tiger leaping gorge hike with kids

Lisey (14 posts) • 0

Good on you for doing it. My hubby and I (also Aussie) would like to do it with our kids but they are much younger - 4, 2 and 6 months. Out of the question for now do you think?? (They don't even last that long walking in kunming!)

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +1

@Lisey, you could start them off on Xishan. You can take the metro to Xishan Forest Park station, which is the end of line 3 (I think it is 3). You can get them used to walking up hills. You don't need to go to the top and when they get tired you can walk down again and get lunch or an ice cream. There is a small tourist area at the bottom of the mountain and the road runs through it, no cars.

mengna (62 posts) • +1

I think it is not a question of the kids can walk it but if the parends can carry them..........

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Good point. By next year the 4 (then 5) year old should be able to walk most of a day. Then you only have to carry the smaller kids.

Sunrise2012 (18 posts) • 0

Hi Lisey, personally I wouldn't if I had the 3 at that age :-) There are literally sheer drops over fair stretches of the track...literally...not just a tumble into bushes....2500 metres sheer fall... My kids have been on lots of long and challenging hikes in Oz...and I just felt they were fit, old and mature enough to tackle TLG.

We stayed in Kunming and travelled Yunnan together as a family about 4 yrs ago...they would have been 7 and 5, and we chose not to do it then...my 5 yr old boy was sensible for a 5 yr old boy...but 5 yr old boys just seem to have '5 yr old boy kamikaze' moments without thinking...you would have to carry toddler/baby and your gear, plus constantly watch 4 yr old wasn't about to run over the edge...there are lots of day walks to do around Kunming...and great places in Yunnan while travelling to do shorter adventures, have you looked into Shaxi...that has nice walks that wouldn't be so challenging for your fam situation at the mo...or you could get bus/driver into Walnut Grove section of TLG, stay a few nights and do day walks around the place?? build up to the biggies...they will get old enough one day and you'll enjoy it more :-) Have fun adventures whatever you do :-)

NingSi (61 posts) • 0

I'm thinking about taking my kids to TLG in Jan.

Is it possible to do a two day hike, maybe a few hours the first day, stay overnight, and then head back down on day 2?

Suggestions for a place to stay for this kind of abbreviated hike?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Lanajot (61 posts) • 0

We travelled to Tina’s Youth hostel located in the middle of the gorge and did the one day hike they recommend. Our son is 11 years old and found it a tough but doable hike. It was REALLY breathtakingly beautiful and the food at Tina’s is good and affordable. The rooms have spectacular views of the mountain.

We took a private car with a driver from Lijiang to Tina’s but they also have a bus leaving daily from Lijiang. You will find them on Booking.com. The Tibetan Guest House is also very popular and has a great atmosphere. Tina’s is perfectly located for the hike, though.

NingSi (61 posts) • +2

Thanks for sharing your feedbk guys, Lanajot and tigertigerathome!

I'll have to think about it a little more as my kids are sedentary creatures at heart!

But the one day hike might be doable.

Related forum threads

Login to post