GoKunming Forums

why should we learn English

Geezer (1953 posts) • +2

@李迎富: Good for you! Welcome!

Good luck. Your written English is pretty good. You may find it a little confusing here as many posters are not native English speakers and can mangle English just as well as a Chinese student.

Super Cindy (1 post) • +1

Why should we learn English

Well,the topic is always arise at my fist lesson in English class. With my growth and experience,I have some new point about this topic.
Countries are becoming more and more connected, Engliah become the language tool to connect with each other.In cultural fields,if we want

Introduce Chinese culture for foreigners, we must study English and practice our oral English well,and we can also learn other country’s cultural. That means we can join the World cultural sharing trend. And in economy and trade,using English well can bring us more benefits, because we can make smoothly business with foreigners. Last but not least,as one postgraduate student, English is become more important than ever, because we have lost of English scientific literature to learn.
In general,English is more and more important in such a competitive society, so we should learn English well.

924wang (1 post) • +3

Why should we learn English?This is a simple question.Obviously,it
depend on our study or work.

As a graduate student, we must master the English language tool. English is a global language that provides a powerful platform for communication. Since modern times in China, the English has made the right to speak in science and technology because of our country behind the West. Although some of our scientific research has come to the leading edge of the world, but most of the scientific research we still have no advantage. Therefore, I must read the English journals to understand the latest progress of international counterparts in order to carry out scientific research, and Maybe I'll have academic exchanges with foreign researchers. This is why I had to learn English.

nnoble (889 posts) • +3

@g24wang I was on the verge of unsubscribing from this thread until I read your honest, no-nonsense reasons and the use of 'must' and 'had to'. And I particularly liked the 'maybe I'll have academic exchanges...'. This latter comment displays a realistic view of your future. What was missing was also telling. Gone were the usual repetitious palliatives of 'making friends' and 'learning culture'. Hope you get credit for being realistic and avoiding group think.

777 (1 post) • 0

This question has many answers ,in my view , there are many reasons . First , English is necessary to do academic for us , because of the new technique about our industry is discover by other country and write report in English . As an undergraduate , this reason is the most important . Second , English is in common using , so that if we are good at English , we will talk with each other without any trouble and help you to adapt to local life style , when we travel or study in abroad . For example if someone can’t say any English,when he enters restaurant,he can’t order,and so on.
In a word , It is imperative to learn English . We should learn English.

AoYun780 (1 post) • 0

Why Should We Learn English?
In my opinion, except mother tongue, all languages should be treated as tools which are used to help us communicate with more people and know their cultures, customs and so on. And as the most popular one of languages, English is worth learning. If we learn English, we can chat with the most part of the population in the world and know their cultures, customs, etc. In another word, English is the top beneficiary language.
As postgraduates, the most important we should do is to do better researches in our own major. But it is a big pity that most materials with academic value are written by English, though they can be translated into Chinese, may be it would not so precise even misleading us.

So it is very important for us to learn English well.

Peter99 (1246 posts) • 0

Hey students, is your English teacher Chinese? Did he/she only recommend you to go to gokunming to practice?

vicar (817 posts) • +1

Around 5.52% of the world's population are native English speakers, 5.85% Spanish and 14.1% Mandarin...I would say there are many variables including the individual when it comes to stating any top beneficiary language. You must also consider the future. For example, there is already talk from French politicians to exclude English from European parliament if Brexit succeeds and a push for more use of French in both oral and written form.

nnoble (889 posts) • +1

www.statista.com/[...]
The pending absence of the U.K. from the EU will only serve to underline that fact that 'English' usage has taken on a life of its own, long-since independent of its roots. It's a common tool belonging to no-one in particular and to be picked up,used,amended and adapted by anyone who chooses.I strongly suspect no amount of French politicians and commentators will be sufficient to displace English as it's currently used officially within the bureaucracy of the EU for very many years to come,if ever. However, French is a key language to choose for Chinese looking for an alternative to stand out from the crowd. Meanwhile, seems the student contributors on here are stuck with English for professional purposes, university credits .............and not much else.

Scottish guy (30 posts) • +2

For a Chinese student wanting a career in languages, Spanish would be a good choice as China is investing heavily in South America and currently there is a shortage of skilled Chinese-Spanish translators.

Related forum threads

Login to post