GoKunming Forums

Skype/VOIP in Kunming

belle (19 posts) • 0

Hello,
We're moving Kunming early next year, with hubby keeping his business going while abroad.

Can anyone tell me if the internet speed in Kunming is fast/reliable enough to make Skype or VOIP work reasonably well and consistently?

Being able to make/receive work-related phone calls between Kunming and Australia is critical to our making the move, so any info greatly appreciated! Thanks.

gbtexdoc (218 posts) • 0

You don't say where you are moving from. Skype between Kunming and the US works fine. Sometimes the recipient of the call in the US complains of the call having sort of an echo, but it is still understandable on both ends.

Greginchina (239 posts) • 0

excuse my pedantry but she does say where moving from - Australia.

Skype works well sometimes but can be patchy depending on time and day and internet connectivity issues.

I often use jajah - www.jajah.com

It uses an internet connection to connect two phones together, a bit like making two skype calls. What this means though is that it uses the speedy internet backbone rather than your own patchy ADSL.

You store your home line, office line and mobile number in your account, then simply choose the number you want to call and it connects the call between the two phones. Its a little more expensive than skype-out but if both parties are signed up then it can actually be free of charge. it also works from most mobile phones either using the built in browser or a small downloadable application. Because it is not actually using your mobile data service for the voice but only to send a message of a kilobyte or two to the server telling it to connect the call it doesn't significantly affect your data package, although you will need to get the most basic data package from china mobile.

gbtexdoc (218 posts) • 0

"excuse my pedantry but she does say where moving from - Australia."
-------------

Right you are. My mistake.

And thanks for the tip on jajah. Had not heard of it. Will check it out.

Related forum threads

Login to post