GoKunming Forums

Searching for University Job Offers

Alexez (349 posts) • 0

I would check the sallary and living costs here first. You might be surprised , could be very different from what you had before. Since you are not only one good teacher who wants to change place for better climate, the payment for your profession kinda dropped down.

I dont know more details, just remember reading some people complaining about that, so try search in GoKM related topics.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • +2

at a uni you will be lucky if you can get 5000 i have seen some offer less than 4000, if you live in college accom then ok, if you live out then rent here is as high as many other cities

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

Universities are limited to paying a base salary of 5000 to foreign teaching staff, be it Tshinghua or otherwise.

Of course they aren't going to get the person they are looking for on those rates, so will add some bonuses to get the rate more in line with reality. Food allowance/ travel expenses/ lecture fees/ additional students/ anything ending in bonus is how this is usually disguised.

You'd be on a standard 12-15 class week with incredible holidays, so this makes for a comfortable arrangement. If you can get yourself on a Foundation course, an internationally recognised technical course or one ran with an overseas partner then you'll be on the big bucks despite what your 5000 a month contract may say. Although changing from the Chinese 2 term arrangement to the international 3 term arrangement may leave you with less holidays.

Big money is more common with the provincial universities than the national universities, despite their usually lower rankings, consider that in your job search as these universities will have more of the above courses running and have more pay channels open to them.

Anyone who's here teaching at a university for 5000 a month is doing it wrong.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

does anyone actually get 5000 max rate?? my extra lectures added up to a couple of hundred a month. no food allowance, travel was return fair single flight max 6000 once a year at end of contract. needed to submit reciepts

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

Well I get 5000 plus airfare (approx. 10k once a year), but I am only (full-time) contracted for 8-10 lessons a week.

ultm8 (5 posts) • 0

@Dazzer and @Ocean, Wow the teachers compensation package is pretty low there. Fuzhou Universities standard rate is 6000 rmb per month including accommodation, 8000 rmb flight allowance, half pay during the summer and winter vacations (which equates to 5 months vacation). I work 3 days a week, 15 periods and an English corner once a week. I am not on the standard salary package, due to my qualifications MSc, BSc, TEFL, experience 6 years, good teaching reputation and I negotiated the pay. No way I could except 5000 a month. I'll try negotiations with a few uni's but if they won't budge on the pay, I'll probably look elsewhere or stay where I am.

Thanks for the added information @Napoleon

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

@ultim8
My 5000 also includes an accommodation payment. You do get full-pay for holidays though. Pay rate is a little higher if you have a Masters, too. Take into account that and the fewer weekly hours and the overall rate is similar to what you currently get.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

5k includes accom payment. does this mean if you lived in you would get less, base pay is below 5K? Or do you live in now.

ultm8 (5 posts) • -1

@Ocean which University are you at? Do you recommend teaching there? Could you send me your Universities contact e-mail, I could try negotiations ;) Cheers

Related forum threads

Login to post