GoKunming Forums

VPN..............

taejonwill (38 posts) • 0

I'm getting an error message from my VPN "could not validate the server certificate". Anybody had this happen to you?

My VPN server says try another one....but I don't know if this if this fault of the VPN or I'm just being blocked.

Thanks....

redjon777 (560 posts) • 0

Uninstall then reinstall worked for me on what I think was the same problem I had.

Probably an OS update you've had......My situation.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Did you try another one? It may well be that the server was being blocked, by you know Hu. In fact several, or many of the servers may be blocked if your service provider is being targeted.
Something else to try is restarting your modem.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Somebody told me that with Win10 updates it automatically goes back to default settings, and so changes to settings are lost. Is this correct? If so I can imagine that would fluff some applications.

michael2015 (784 posts) • +2

@taejonwill
There are a few things which could be happening. Best solution is to wait a day or two (if you can live that long without the VPN) and try again. That probably means the error was temporary and probably caused by high-network traffic, timeouts on the certificate verification, plain old error corruption (it still happens), and the worst nightmare of all - what is known as a "man in the middle" attack, where someone is trying to phish your user IDs and passwords. Security Certificates generally (not always) guarantee the end-to-end security of a connection. A "main in the middle" is usually inside your internet service provider (ISP).

If the problem persists - you'll have to download NEW security certificates from your VPN provider.

Another potential issue is simply the expiration of your VPN account OR you renewed it and your VPN provider issued new security certificates. If this is the issue, you'll need to download new security certificates.

redjon777 (560 posts) • 0

Likewise, the updates are automatic but no reverting to default for apps.
That would make me change systems without doubt!

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

Concur with michael2015. I frequently get certificate (configuration) updates. I've experienced less trouble installing these since being connected to fibre and hence more reliable wi-fi to devices.

Related forum threads

Login to post