GoKunming Forums

Your favorite Kunming Chinese restaurant?

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

外婆味道, or probably "Grandmother's Flavor" in English, is a chain of Chinese restaurants in Kunming.

We generally frequent the establishment west from Beijing Lu / Lianmeng Lu intersection just north of Northern railway station (museum). Unlike many of their neighbors, they have expanded in last year or so to cater for the growing customer base.

They have several delicious dishes and prices are cheap. Their menu is Chinese with a few low quality photos, but they have WeChat app with better pictures.

Only thing bugging is the same songs on repeat every night. I guess grandmothers aren't a particularly hot topic for songwriters.

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

Please define what is meant by "Chinese restaurant".

One that is serves Chinese food, one that is owned by a Chinese national, or one that is operating in China?

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

I am going to keep on the Grandmother theme and go with 外婆家. They're all over China, selling Hangzhou cuisine. The one I go to is in Wanda, but there could be more.

Great food and doesn't cost and arm and leg.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

Try Matt Miller's food guide. Matt says he "combines Chinese and Western experts in food, Chinese culture, writing..."

But you knew that, right Matt?

rogertwotimes (49 posts) • 0

Tonyaod sorry, I meant serving Chinese food.

JanJal and Napoleon thank you for the recommendations.

Geezer what?

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

@rogertwotimes

Then that would lead us to the next question; what, exactly, is "Chinese Food"? Is any food that originated from the area that is now geographically defined as "People's Republic of China" considered Chinese food? Is tradition Xinjiang food eaten by Uyghurs, Chinese food? How about fusion style restaurants?

Just trying to figure out what you are looking for.

Tonyaod, no need to overthink it. Most people know what Chinese food is.

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

In that case, I would nominate Sal's as the the best Chinese restaurant, their fried rice is awesome.

For breakfast, I'd like to pop in to KFC to have their Soymilk with youtiao, Chinese doughnut, I think it's called. The best youtiao I've had in Kunming.

Tonyaod, now you are just being silly. Thanks for the recommendations from the ones who did. Peace out.

Related forum threads

Login to post