GoKunming Forums

Bringing mountain bikes

YuriCoach (46 posts) • 0

Please give your advice. We are about to move there and considering bringing our mountain bikes. Is it worth bringing them? We have really nice Land Rover bikes, but will we use them there? Are there good bike trails around KM or is it better to just rent them for the day?

Thanks

lemon lover (1006 posts) • 0

Mountain bikes are available in many different qualities and prices and offcourse the good stuff will cost you. The only real problem is frame size. If you are big then bad luck; they dont have those and you better bring your own.

brownxy (3 posts) • 0

There are lots of mountain bikes club in KM and there are lots of nice mountain bike trails around KM, you can found many kinds mountain bike trail DH XC AM or just for sightseeing . If you want living in kunming or if you want try more bike trails you'd better bring your mountain bike here, because you can ride them any time and if you want rent a professional mountain bike will cost you a lot.
If you just want raid bike for sightseeing you can rent a bike in KM,the normal bike is cheap.

voltaire (225 posts) • 0

Definitely bring if possible, but an OK bike won't set you back too much here. Low end stuff on the second hand market ranges from 300-1500RMB, the same stuff retails for maybe 900-4500RMB. Above 4500RMB you are possibly better off buying parts and building the thing yourself. The reason is that low end bikes come in mass-produced sets from major manufacturers, so their components are co-shipped and effectively priced at well sub-retail levels. Higher end stuff is not generally in stock in Kunming.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

Bring them. Lots of people biking in Kunming, surrounding hills, and around Yunnan.
I haven't noticed shops renting bikes inside the city, but they are widely available in touristic cities in Yunnan. You'll have the choice of riding your own bike in Kunming and renting one when visiting nearby cities.

Also, get good locks and keep your bike in sight. Bike and scooter theft rate is rather high in Kunming and those coiled cable locks will only last a second or two.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

depends where you is coming from. if coming from oversea then maybe not. you have to consider cost of shipping both ways. or just assume it will get stolen and you will replace locally anyway. if you are coming from within china you can just add them to the bundle of personal effects you is bringing. but find out shipping estimates first. unless you are coming by bus or train.

jiang.wen (7 posts) • 0

My advice is to bring a very tough lock as well, and DO NOT park it anywhere; not even in one of those dedicated bike parking lots.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I hand painted my bike. Assuming (dangerous I know) most bikes are stolen to re-sell, often to a second hand dealer.

My bike is of zero value. Who would want to take on a hand painted bike. It is not even valuable to strip for spares, I have painted every component that can be, except the rear cogs, and tires.
The only reasons to take it would be a drunk wanting to get home, and then dumping it, or malice.

Related forum threads

Login to post