GoKunming Forums

Westerner Thinking and Ways

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

westerners dont suffer from face culture, can be self effacing and take and give criticism in equal measure. we are taught to critique (look it up in a dictionary) things and by finding problems we can then try to fix them, or being aware of problems can work around them if they cant be fixed. we dont like to hide problems as it only causes problems later. and in disputes we accept that there will be fault on both sides, we know that win-lose is a null sum game (game theory). people yield to one another out of courtesy, and not just deference to power. the strong can give way to the weak as we accept that no one is right much more than half the time, and no one is absolutley right, ever, except in math.

marcuschen (178 posts) • 0

Dazzer, but why do you think your ways are the right ways? Why you think you need "fix" Chinese culture?

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

@marcuschen Dazzer did not say fix Chinese culture, He said, "by finding problems we can then try to fix them." Notice he was talking of fixing problems. Misquoting and misrepresenting other posters is trolling and classic Matt Miller.

Matt, is that you?

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Geezer sounds perfectly sane to me.

@marcus... you are wonderfully confirming the point made about face cultures.
Have you looked up the word 'critique' and understood the definition, and process of critiquing?
Dazzer was talking about western cultures. He also talked about self criticism, as well as criticism in general.

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

'It definitely isn't Matt.' I wouldn't bet on it. For one, the Chinglish is inconsistent and appears too contrived at times.

mike4g_air (788 posts) • 0

Tiger has it right!!
" @marcus... you are wonderfully confirming the point made about face cultures".

Dazzer has it right AND in detail !!!
"westerners dont suffer from face culture, can be self effacing and take and give criticism in equal measure. we are taught to critique (look it up in a dictionary) things and by finding problems we can then try to fix them, or being aware of problems can work around them if they cant be fixed. we dont like to hide problems as it only causes problems later. and in disputes we accept that there will be fault on both sides, we know that win-lose is a null sum game (game theory). people yield to one another out of courtesy, and not just deference to power. the strong can give way to the weak as we accept that no one is right much more than half the time, and no one is absolutley right, ever, except in math."

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

@nnoble, second that. I had my doubts on a few of his previous posts in other threads.

3/10 for his Chinglish.

marcuschen (178 posts) • 0

I am not Matt, you people are crazy. Sorry but true!

Related forum threads

Login to post