GoKunming Forums

Ximeng Wa minority wooden drum festival

Hcamez (39 posts) • 0

I read an article on Ximeng's Wa minority wooden drum festival.

www.gokunming.com/[...]

It was written a few years ago. Mentions the festival was on the 10th of April. However, I would imagine it changes year to year with the lunar calendar.

Anyone have info? Would be cool to go there for tomb sweeping holiday

Hcamez (39 posts) • 0

Thanks. Some local friends down near there told me it was on the 12th this year, but that may be their village not ximeng.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

I went to this about 10 years ago - the first time the event was promoted, I think. It was, of course, a choreographed show, not something really 'traditional', but it was a good show. Nice to see really attractive women with bright black eyes in dark faces swinging their hair around, and there was the usual get-the-audience-to-drink thing (everybody is supposed to put down three cups of rice wine etc., women coming up to you to get you to do it - seems this is a standard element in such choreographed minority shows). Enjoyed it.

GeogramattGeogramatt (203 posts) • 0

That article a few years ago was written by me. I definitely cannot vouch that it's still April 10 this year. And the info on Yunnan Explorer, though very helpful, is also subject to change. Best to inquire with someone in Ximeng itself about the exact dates this year

zhudan (204 posts) • 0

Did you start working for some local travel agency during your hiatus. Water Festival = BORING folks. Done it. Really stupid.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Did you go alone zhudan or miss the big day? I've yet to meet anyone who has described the water fight in Xishuangbanna as boring.

Related forum threads

Login to post