GoKunming Forums

Driving License In Kunming ?!?!

debaser (647 posts) • 0

@Alien - but most people in Kunming speak Chinese as a 'native' speaker. Bluebird, how is your Chinese?

@BlueBird - If your home country is not an option then would another country nearby or even Hong Kong be an alternative option to get the lessons/ licence. There might be a better chance of finding an English speaking instructor elsewhere at least. As HFCAMPO said, I don't know any foreigner (westerner) to have taken practical lessons here or who has obtained a Chinese licence that way. Maybe it's possible in theory but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not practically possible. Let us know how you get on.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

There is another issue with taking the licence. For Chinese drivers, they can only train and get a licence in a city that they have a residents ID for, this probably includes temporary IDs.

This may mean that foreigners cannot get a licence. It would most likely mean that even if you could take a test, you could only do it in the city you have an RP for, and so HK could be out.

PandaBear (2 posts) • 0

Hope you find it useful.
Do NOT know if it still proceeds like this.

Step 1 – Translation of current License:

The Translators Association of Yunnan Province - 云南翻译工作者协会.
#2 Guo Fang Road - 国防路2 – Is located on the corner of Jin Bi Road + Guo Fang Road. Go to Jin Bi Road - Mi Le Si Bus Stop – Bus: 4, 62, 90, 120, 148, A1.
Walk 1 block east to Guo Fang Road – Opposite of Xi Chang Road.
Cost: 40 RMB for translation.
Phone: 4145503 or 4196335.

Online Quiz - www.chinacartimes.com/quiz/

Step 2 – What to bring:

1. Drivers License + Translated Drivers License + Copies.
2. Passport and Visa + copies.
3. Household Registration form.
4. 5 Passport Photos.
5. 60 RMB for the exam.
6. 12 RMB for the physical.
7. 10 RMB for the license.

Step 3 – Where to go:

Thursday is Foreigner Day –

Bus A6: Stops directly in front of the Vehicle Management Station.
Bus: 3, 66, 73, 95, 107, 118, 206, 213, 229, A8, C137, K12 (Jing Kai Qu Guan Wei Hui). Stops directly in front of the China Post Office – Turn right to # 12 Jing Kai Road.
Kunming Shi Che Guan Suo – 昆明市车管所 – Kunming Vehicle Management Station.
Phone – 7267863

DanTheMan (620 posts) • 0

I heard that if you already have a motorcycle endorsement on your current foreign license then this carries over by taking the Kunming car test only in English. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Thanks.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

"Online Quiz - www.chinacartimes.com/quiz/"

The website seems down.

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

@DanTheMan: Yes, that's how it works. But you have to specify that you're testing for a license with motorcycle endorsement. I'm pretty sure the test remains the same.

DanTheMan (620 posts) • 0

Thanks @Xiefei!

Thanks @PandaBear for posting instructions.

As far as everybody knows is this still the correct procedure? I'm gonna go try to get this process started this week.

BlueBird (55 posts) • 0

Thank a lot guys, this been really helpful for my situation, any way here is something that i found, this web site : www.china-driver-license.com/, invites me to go to Guangzhou to make my license, and since i do not have one I'll have to pay them 13000 and they'll make you sure I will have one by just attending on the exams witch are on English, they say it takes like 3 days, so it sound to me something like cheating or possible scam but is the only way I found for inside Mainland for a person ( like me ) without having a valid license already from your / mine country, in case you'll like to contact this agency be aware that this province / city is famous for scams or whats so ever but it also might work out for people like in my case, just be prepared to spend around 20.000 including your expenses accommodation and so, so final point is does it really worth for you or your current situation cause it's very expensive way !

walter (48 posts) • 0

Note that you can only do it in the place you have your residence permit. I tried to do it in Kunming and was told to go to Yuxi (I live in Chengjiang). Even after getting a police registration in Kunming, they wouldn't budge. For reference, Yuxi don't have English preparation material, only English tests. Also, the location of the Kunming drivers license testing bureau is virtually unreachable by public transport. If you taxi there, pay the driver to wait ... it will be easier than trying to find a new one later. Typical bloody China!

Related forum threads

Login to post