GoKunming Forums

Driving License In Kunming ?!?!

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Congratulations.
Some free advice. You will most likely get into an insignificant bump or two to at the beginning. In Kunming the going rate for 'compensation' is 200rmb. The standard on the spot fine is also 200rmb, if you are found in the wrong and the cops want to fine you. Carry at least 400rmb with you just in case.
There is an entitlement culture that any bump, even if no damage, they want that compensation (they will even find old scratches or fly stains) it is just how it is. They can argue for hours about this. I usually just give them 200, don't argue and wave then off as if they don't matter. And on the big scale of things, it doesn't.

Usually if the cops turn up, they get you to both agree no damage and send you both on your own way, not compensation.
You will soon learn that most drivers are very adversarial, the 'silver back' mentality comes to the fore. Until you are experienced reacting to other drivers it may just be better let them steal your road space, they are going to anyway. Fewer ulcers.

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

@TigerTiger
Having a small stash of emergency money in the car is a great (and simple) idea. I'm going to put some there right away. Cheers.

CromsonCromson (145 posts) • 0

My side-mirror left some light scratches on a "chinese-style" parked car last weekend in ChengJiang (FuXian Lake), simply too much cars in all directions (also parked) on a tiny road.

I got away with 100 RMB... after asking the guy how much he wants and him responding i have to tell him.
His girlfriend started shouting it's a new car and blablabla, probably wanted to make big money. I just ignored her and focused on the driver, while with one hand and a towel showing them that the "scratches" can magically get away.
Funny thing in this situation, the guy simply proposed to me ramming my car and we would be square. I thought not understanding well, but later my wife told me i heard quite right. Crazy weekend... and TigerTiger is right, have some money in your pocket and never try to argue with a loud voice (good thing i had my wife and kids with me, holding me down). They will bring "relatives" to the scene and make you a big scene... probably you ending up as the bad foreigner and on News-Channel. Be prepared for a big crowd arising out of nowhere if you not settle in time. ;)

debaser (647 posts) • 0

@Dan - congrats on passing your test and thanks for the tips!

Has anyone else found any websites for practice tests or other useful resources? I'd been reading through a .pdf of around 290+ pages until I saw Dan's link and the content is different.

290 pages sounds like the full text of the test I did, which has changed since then, but by how much I do not know.

290 pages sounds like the full text of the test I did, which has changed since then, but by how much I do not know.

debaser (647 posts) • 0

Passed first time! 98/100.
There were a few questions that I didn't encounter on Dan's link:

driving with your arm resting on the window or your hand resting on the gear stick is a bad habit - YES/NO

smoking while driving does not affect driving -

YES/NO

How long is the safe gap when driving on the highway at 100km/h?

(the practice tests say under/over 100km/h)

When turning left should you:
A. turn from the right of the center line.
B. not turn left
C.turn from the left of the center line.
D. turn left by crossing the center circle marking.

@Dan - thanks again for the link. Very useful.

The pictures they use are the same as the actual test ones.

DanTheMan (620 posts) • 0

You're welcome! Actually I culled most of the info I needEd from earlier in this thread and other threads. Always nice to see this site being used as a vehicle of exchange for actual useful information that is related to Kunming/Yunnan instead of the conspiracy theories and flame wars that prevailed for a while.

KevBon (4 posts) • 0

Anybody got an up to date link? I couldn't get the chinacartimes or China-driver-license to work. Thanks in advance

Related forum threads

Login to post